Worksop Town 2 NFU 1 (Evo Prem)

Evostik Northern Premier League Premier Division

Worksop Town  2  North Ferriby United  1

Ferriby went down to a disappointing defeat following a controversial 86th minute goal. Worksop substitute Matty Young was at least five yards off-side but was allowed to run-on to a long-ball to calmly shoot past Adam Nicklin.

Ferriby started the match brightly and went ahead in the second minute. Danny Clarke's instinctive hook shot found the top corner with home keeper Paul Bastock well-beaten.

Two minutes later parried Gregg Anderson's goal-bound header then clutched the loose ball as Clarke closed-in.

The first-half was mainly Ferriby. The Villagers were playing good passing football going forward and creating problems for Worksop. The midfield and defence closed down Worksop's midfield and strikers and left the home side with little option but to play the long ball to attack.

Worksop's only serious threat came in the 17th minute when Nicklin turned leon Mettam's free-kick over the bar.

Jack Muldoon should have made it two for Ferriby in the 31st minute. He was played through but with only Bastock in front of him he shot tamely at the keeper.

Bastock saved Worksop again three minutes later. Nathan Peat's long free-kick beat everybody and bounced in the area. Bastock just managed to leap turn it over for a corner as it went over his head.

The second-half was a different story. Worksop came-out determined to salvage something from the game.

Ferriby's midfield dropped back too far and this allowed Worksop to build a series of attacks.

Mettam saw a shot deflected for a corner before Town equalised after 54 minutes. Bruno Holden was given a free header in the six yard box and planted the ball past Nicklin.

Bastock was alert to turn Muldoon's shot for a corner as Ferriby tried to regain the lead. Gary Bradshaw saw a close-range header hit the bar with Bastock beaten.

The game looked to be heading for a draw until Young's controversial late strike. It seemed that the match officials were the only people in the ground who thought he was on-side.

Ferriby may rue the fact that they lost to such a goal but they should have had the game won by half-time.

In both games played, Ferriby have dominated the first-half without taking their chances. They have paid the price with sub-standard second-half displays.

NFU: Adam Nicklin, Steve Gardner, Nathan Peat, Liam King, Gregg Anderson, Paul Foot, Danny Clarke, Russell Fry, Jack Muldoon (Ryan Kendall 66), Gary Bradshaw, Steve Ridley (Lee Morris 89). Non-playing subs: Mark Gray,  Neil Stevens,  Rob Moy  

Worksop Town:   Paul Bastock, Ryan Clarke, Sam Craven, Matt Telling (Lee Beeson71), Luke Shiels, Stuart Ludlam, Craig King (Matty Young 71), Steve Towers, Bruno Holden (Owain Warlow 64), Leon Mettam, Massiah McDonald. Non-playing subs: Chris Wood, Adie Hawes


Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors