Worcester City 2 NFU 1 (VCN)

Vanarama Conference North

Worcester City 2  North Ferriby United 1
Scorers: NFU: Liam King 4
Worcester City: Daniel Nti 73p, 87p

Ferriby lost top spot in the Vanarama Conference North after going down to two penalties in the final 17 minutes at Worcester City. Ferriby could not argue with either decision but keeper Adam Nicklin will feel hard done-to as he got hands to both of Daniel Nti’s shots.

The best chances to both sides came in a frenetic first-half in which The Villagers took an early lead after just four minutes. Nicklin’s kick was headed by Tom Denton to Russ Fry whose 35 yard pass to the opposite wing found Louis Bruce. The midfielder’s cross found Nathan Jarman who had his shot blocked but the ball fell to Liam King to rifle home.

A minute later it could have been 2-0 but Jarman’s strike came-back off the post.

Denton forced home keeper Nathan Vaughan into a great one=handed save as Ferriby provided the greater scoring threat.

Gloucester’s greatest threat came from Daniel Nti who used his pace and movement to good effect down the right. Even so, Gloucester struggled to create scoring opportunities. Nicklin was alert to race out and take the ball just ahead of Nti. Nicklin then did extremely well to come out and block two attempts from Nti after 25 and 45 minutes. Other than these attempts, Worcester offered little threat on goal despite some good approach play.

Ferriby thought they had doubled their lead after 42 minutes but Denton’s goal was disallowed for off-side.

Ferriby probably just about deserved their half-time lead but they could have few complaints following their second-half performance.

The second-half saw only two goal-bound attempts from each side with both of Worcester’s being Nti’s two penalties.

Both sides had only one attempt each on goal in the first 10 minutes of the half and it was the 73rd minute befpre a shot was on target. Nathan peat brought down substitute Tristian Dunkley in the area to concede a penalty. Nto hit the ball to Nicklin’s left and thought he got both hands to it the ball went-in off the post. The introduction of Dunkley gave Worcester pace down both wings and they exploited it throughout the half without really creating any majot threat.

Ferriby responded to the penaltywith a Jarman shot was turned round by Vaughan. In return, Wayne Thomas hit a free-kick in to the wall and Mike Symons shot wide.

The winner came after 87 minutes. Matt Wilson pulled bacl Symons in the area for a second penalty. This time, Nti put it to Nicklin’s right and he was unfortunate that the ball crept over the line after he got a hand to it.

Ferriby manager Billy Heath commented, “It was obviously a disappointing result. We played well for the first 20 minutes and had chances to be more than one ahead. After that we gave the ball away a little too easily and that allowed Worcester to come back at us.”      

In the end, Ferriby could have no real arguments with this result. They may say luck was not with them but you sometimes have to create your own luck and The Villagers could not manage that today.

NFU: Adam Nicklin, Danny Hone, Nathan Peat, Liam King, Matt Wilson, Mark Gray (Josh Wilde 67), Louis Bruce (Jamie Yates 45 (Tom Corner 90+2)),  Jon D’Laryea Tom Denton, Nathan Jarman, Russ Fry.  Subs not used: Antoni Pecora, Gregg Anderson  

Worcester City:  Nathan Vaughan, George Williams, Tyler Weir, Graham Hutchinson, Wayne Thomas, Danny Jackman  (David McDermott 86),  Daniel Nti (Jacob Rowe 90+2), Ellis Deeney, Mike Symons, Connor Gater, Nick Wright (Tristian Dunkley 63),
Subs not used: Daniel Udoh, Jose Veiga

On Tuesday, The Villagers play Grimsby Town at the Eon Visual Media Stadium. This game is a friendly and Billy Heath will use the game to give game time to his players who have not seen much, or any action so far. The game kicks-off at 7.15pm and admission is free. The Sports bar will be open but there will be no catering.

Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors