Warrington Town1NFU 0 (FAC 4Q)

FA Cup Fourth Round Qualifying
Saturday 25 October 2014

Warrington Town 1
Lewis Field  66

North Ferriby United  0  
(HT: WT 0  NFU   0)

Att: 691

Ferriby’s FA cup dream is over for another year after a largely disappointing performance at Warrington Town. The Villagers can have no real complaint about the result as they only seriously threatened in the final 10 minutes of the game.

Ferriby’s cause was not helped by having to play most of the second-half with 10 men following the dismissal of Matt Wilson for violent conduct.

Ferriby opened the game with Liam King chipping a 35-yard to home home keeper Karl Wills. After this, both sides struggled to create any serious goal threats for much of the half. The game was rather frenetic with neither side able to really gain control.

Ben Wharton had a good opportunity for Warrington after 13 minutes but Adam Nicklin turned his low shot round the post.

Ferriby almost took the lead after 18 minutes. Dan Clayton’s low cross was cleared to Liam King who placed his header wide.

Ferriby were once again caught-out by a through-ball but Scott Metcalfe fired over when he perhaps should have scored.

Ferriby probably had the greater possession and territorial advantage but could not offer any real threat to Wills in the Warrington goal. The Villagers were struggling to win second-balls as they were cleared by Warrington and the home-side always offered a threat on the break.

There was little of note until the 39th minute when Jamie Yates’ shot was parried by Wills to King whose effort was blocked and the rebound just ran away from Russ Fry. As Ferriby pressed, Dan Clayton fired wide when well-placed.

Warrington responded with Lewis Field’s angled shot being turned round by Nicklin.

The second-half opened with Jamie Yates heading at Wills. However the game-changing moment probably came in the 55th minute. Nicklin turned a Metcalfe shot for a corner and as the ball went out of play there was an altercation between Wilson and Steve Foster which saw Wilson red-carded for violent conduct after pushing Foster.

Both sides still struggled to create any serious threat before Field scored the game’s only goal after 66 minutes. With two players in off-side positions, the Ferriby defence missed Field running from deep to latch on a through-ball which he took past the advancing Nicklin before placing it in an empty net. This was Warrington’s last serious attempt on goal.

Gregg Anderson headed over from Russ Fry’s corner to the near post after 76 minutes. After 87 minutes Nathan Jarman saw his low shot turned-round the post by Wills. This signalled a Ferriby onslaught of corners as the game closed. Unfortunately, The Villagers could not find the final crucial touch.

Ferriby will be reflecting on a missed opportunity to reach the FA Cup First Round Proper but, on the day, they could have no real complaints about losing.

Manager Billy Heath commented, “It was poor performance. We didn’t really get into the game at any time. The sending-off compounded things. The only real pressure we exerted was right at the end. All in all, it was a really disappointing performance.”

Warrington Town: Karl Wills, Lewis Field, Tom Hardwick,  David Mannix, James McCarten, Craig Robinson, Matthew Doughty (Robbie Booth 79),  Nathan Burke, Ben Wharton, Steve Foster Louis Corrigan 77), Scott Metcalfe Subs not used: Robbie Booth, Ashley Ruane, Chris Gahgan. James Colbeck, Jack West

NFU: Adam Nicklin, Nathan Peat (Louis Bruce 68), Josh Wilde, Liam King, Matt Wilson, Danny Hone,  Jamie Yates (Gregg Anderson 57), Russell Fry, Tom Denton, Nathan Jarman,  Dan Clayton (Adam Bolder 79).
Subs not used: Tom Nicholson, Louis Bruce,  Mark Gray,  Jon D’Laryea, Tom Corner

Philip Withers Contact number: 07737623138

Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors