Tamworth 1 NFU 0 (NLN)

Vanarama National League North
8  August  2015
Tamworth 1  North Ferriby United   0
Half-Time:  0-0

Tamworth: Elliottt Durell 60
 Referee: Richard Wild
Attendance: 791

Ferriby went down 1-0 in a game from which they should have earned at least a point.  

Both sides finished with 10 players in a niggly and scrappy match that also saw 6 yellow cards.

 Ferriby will rue a lack of clinical finishing in a match in which Tamworth had only two shots on target. Tamwoth's Lee Smith and The Villagers Adam Bolder were sent off in separate incidents in the first eight minutes of the second-half.

 The first-half was entertaining enough. Both sides attacked down the wings but neither keeper was rarely seriously troubled.

Ferriby’s defence was generally strong and assured whilst the midfield nullified a large number of Tamworth’s attacks.

Adam bolder and Curtis Bateson drove Ferriby forward and Tom Denton proved a handful for the Tamworth throughout the afternoon.

Denton was unlucky after five minutes when his snap-shot was deflected for a corner. Eight minutes later Bolder’s free-kick reached Danny Hone but the defender was unable to get a clean shot and keeper James Belshaw saved.

Bolder’s dead-ball kicks caused problems and Ash Palmer headed narrowly over.

Tamworth’s only attempts up to this point were two free-kicks from Elliott Durrell, one of which narrowly went wide whilst the other was way off-target.

Either side of two Liam King shots at Belshaw, Danny Newton forced Adam Nicklin into a full-length save.

 The second-half opened in explosive fashion.  Tamworth’s Smith was sent-off after 49 minutes for elbowing Tom Denton in the face.    King fired the resultant free-kick narrowly wide.
After 53 minutes a Nathan Hotte foul led to a melee involving many of the players. Once order had been restored Bolder was dismissed for violent conduct and Hotte received a yellow card for the initial foul.       

Nicklin did well to turn Paul Green’s shot over the bar for a corner which was cleared. Tamworth started another attack down the right through Newton. His low cross was only partially cleared to Durrell on the edge of the area and his low shot through a crowded penalty area found the bottom corner of the net.      

Palmer was unlucky not to equalise after 66 minutes when his header from a Bateson corner came back off the underside of the bar with Belshaw well-beaten. Two minutes a repeat move saw Palmer head just wide at the far post.

The final attempt of the game fell to Ferriby but Denton’s glancing header went just wide.   

Whilst the result was disappointing, Ferriby can take comfort for a generally good defensive display and the fact that they created far more on-target efforts than the home side                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Ferriby manager Billy Heath commented, “It was a typical season opening game. There wasn’t a lot of quality displayed on the pitch We did more than enough to have got a point so it is disappointing from that point of view. I can’t fault the players’ effort and attitude.”

NFU: Adam Nicklin, Ben Middleton,  Josh Wilde,  Liam King (Russell Fry 88), Ash Palmer, Danny Hone, Danny Clarke,  Adam Bolder, Tom Denton, Nathan Hotte (Ryan Kendall 72), Curtis Bateson (Danny Emerton 83)  Subs not used:, Tom Nicholson , Mark Gray

Tamworth: James Belshaw, Andy Burns, Curtis Strong, Lee Smith, Steve Tomassen, Dan Preston, Elliott Durrell (Sean Wilkins 72)  Shane Clarke,  Andy Morell (Connor Taylor 60),  Paul Green, Danny Newton Subs not used: Jed Davis, Luke Hubbins, Brad Gascoigne





Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors