Stalybridge Celtic 1 NFU 1 (FAC 4Q)

Emirates FA Cup
Fourth Round Qualifying
24 October  2015

Stalybridge Celtic   1      North Ferriby United   1  (Half-time:  SC: 0       NFU: 1  )
Bohan Dixon 90+3         Danny Clarke 42

Attendance: 547

Ferriby’s attempt to reach the FA Cup First Round Proper for the first time was foiled by an equaliser in the dying seconds of the game.

With Ferriby looking to have the game won, a cross was headed out to the edge of the area to Bohan Dixon who scored with a fine low shot. This was rough justice on The Villagers who had controlled the second-half and looked the likely winners.

The game had opened with Ash Palmer placing a header just over the bar in only the first minute. Shortly after, Ben Middleton also put a header over the bar.

celtic’s Adam Farrell hit a shot to Adam Nicklin then saw another one blocked on the edge of the area as both teams looked to attack. However, chances were limited as both midfields and defences closed down on the opposition.

Dixon had a shot deflected for a corner from which jack Higgins headed over.

The Villagers thought they had taken the lead after 32 minutes but Liam King’s goal was disallowed for off-side.

Two minutes later Mark gray powered an Adam Bolder free-kick against the post.

Ferriby deserved their goal when it came in the 42nd minute. A Russ Fry and Danny Clarke one-two ended with Clarke firing a low angled shot past home keeper Tony McMillan.

The second-half belonged largely to Ferriby. Celtic struggled to break-down The Villagers’ defence and only had three clear attempts in the whole half. Ferriby’s defence and midfield constantly denied space and time to Celtic.

Ferriby were left fuming after 50 minutes when they were denied what seemed a clear penalty for a blatant push on Middleton as he jumped for the ball in the area.

Most of the opportunities fell to Ferriby with Fry, Clarke, King and Bateson all having shots blocked or deflected.

Danny Emerton was a thorn in Stalybridge’s side throughout and he was unlucky after 69 minutes with an overhead kick that was held at the second attempt by McMillan.

An Adam Bolder goal-bound free-kick was headed away two yards from the line.

Substitute Ryan Kendall had an opportunity to clinch the game in the 89th minute. He stabbed the ball wide narrowly wide of the post in a one-on-one with McMillan.

Four minutes later the game was cruelly snatched from Ferriby by Dixon’s strike. The shot was Celtic’s only on-goal effort in the half.

Ferriby certainly deserved to win this game but they will be happy that they are in Monday evening’s First Round draw.

Ferriby manager Billy Heath commented,
“We played well today. I’m very disappointed because we deserved to win. We had the better chances and limited Celtic’s goal attempts. We now have to  make sure we complete the job in Wednesday’s replay.”

NU: Adam Nicklin, Ben Middleton, Josh Wilde,  Liam King (Ryan Kendall 82), Ash Palmer, Mark Gray, Danny Clarke,  Russell Fry Danny Emerton,  Adam Bolder, Curtis Bateson: Subs not used: Sam Topliss, Tom Nicholson, Louis Bruce, Ross Armstrong, Tom Davie

 Stalybridge Celtic: Anthony McMillan,  Peter Wylie,  Oliver Crowley,  Matthew Hughes,  Jack Higgins,  Aaron Chalmers. Ben McKenna (Darius Osei 65), Bohan Dixon,  Adam Farrell  (Alex Johnson 82)    Steve Tames (Chris Simm 65)  , Danny Wisdom.  Subs not used: Amour Lingouba,  Alex Mudimu, Dale Wright, Callum Hill

The replay will take place at the Eon Visual Media Stadium on Wednesday 28 October with a7.45 kick-off. Admission prices are £12, £6 concessions and £3 for under-16s



Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors