Solihull Moors 2 NFU 0 (NL)

Solihull Moors 2
Akwas1 Asante 32, 76

North Ferriby United  0

 Attendance: 526

This was a disappointing result for Ferriby in a game from which they could, and probably should have taken a point.

The game itself was a rather lacklustre affair with little atmosphere and not too much goalmouth excitement. Both teams did have chances but they were fairly infrequent.

Both sides gave the ball away too easily and too often. This obviously limited serious attacking opportunities for both sides.

Solihull were generally quicker to the loose balls and The Villagers were regularly forced back.

Solihull had the better scoring opportunities in the first-half but The Villagers had their chances.

Loanee Levi Sutton started well and fired one dangerous cross through the goal area. However, Ferriby’s greatest threat came from Danny Emerton. It was Emerton who set-up an open goal for Kyle Wootton. The striker fired wide from close-range at the far post.

Ferriby paid for this miss eight minutes later. Jamey Osborne’s low drive was parried by Rory Watson and it fell to Akwasi Asante who tapped-in from close range. That made amends for Asante wasting a couple of good earlier chances.

The Villagers closed the half with their one on-target shot, a Steve Brogan free-kick that was comfortably taken by Danny Lewis

The introduction of Curtis Bateson at Hal-time gave Ferriby a bit more urgency as they upped the tempo. They started passing the ball more often and more accurately and looked like finding an equaliser.

Lewis made a very good one-handed save from Ross Armstrong’s shot and Ryan Fallowfield put the rebound over the bar.

Asante almost doubled Moors’ lead with a mishit shot that bounced on to the bar and went over.

Bateson fired a shot narrowly wide as The Villagers forced Solihull on to the back foot. Kendall drew a save from Lewis after good work, again by Bateson.

The game turned in the 76th minute. Ferriby had the ball in midfield and were setting-up an attack. Fallowfield hit a pass towards the unmarked Steve Brogan. Howeve, the referee was poorly positioned and the ball hit him and dropped dead for two Solihull players to start an attack with Ferriby out of position. The second phase of the attack saw Asante hit a powerful 18-yard shot in off the underside of the bar. It was cruel luck for Ferriby.

This knocked the wind out of Ferriby to some extent. Neither side really threatened a goal after this. Solihull were content to play-out the game.

The game finished controversially with Bateson sent-off in the dying seconds for a second caution. The caution was the ninth of the game with five against Ferriby and four against Solihull. Supporters and officials of both sides could not understand the flurry of cards in a game in which there was not one bad foul an. which, to some extent lacked any real passion.

Ferriby manager Steve Housham commented,
“It was a sloppy first-half from us. We conceded too much possession and found it hard to get forward regularly. We played better in the second-half. There was an improved tempo and our passing was better. The second goal was a kick in the teeth due to way it came about.

“Once again, we had some really good chances but failed to take them. They came at crucial stages of the game and  could have made a big difference.”

NFU: Rory Watson, Sam Topliss (Curtis Bateson 45), Taron Hare, Ben Middleton, Mark Gray, Steve Brogan, Ryan Fallowfield,  Ross Armstrong (Darryn Stamp 73), Danny Emerton, Reece Thompson  71 Kyle Wootton (Ryan Kendall 51)

Subs not used:  Alfons Fosu-Mensa Jake Skelton

Solihull Moors: Danny Lewis, Shepherd Murombedzi, Connor Franklin, Liam Daly, Jordan Gough, Akwasi Asante (Harry White 90), Eddie Jones (Jordan Fagnbola 75), Curtis Obeng, Jamey Osborne (Darryl Knights 84), George Carline, Joel Dielna
Subs not used: Darren acton, Jean-Yves Koue Niate




Our Sponsors