Scarborough Athletic 3 NFU 1 (Evo-Stik Prem 18-19)

Evostik Northern Premier League
Premier Division

Tuesday 4 September 2018

 Evostik Northern Premier League
Premier Division

Tuesday 4  September 2018

Scarborough Athletic   3                 North Ferriby United   1
Kevin Burgess 67                              Luke Lofts 16p
Wayne Brooksby 76, 90+1

Ferriby produced a much better performance at The Flamingo Land Stadium  against fancied Scarborough Athletic than they did against Warrington on Saturday. Unfortunately , despite deservedly leading at half-time, The Villagers finally succumbed 3-1.

Ferriby had the better of the first-half in a fairly end-to-end contest. The Villagers opened brightly with Luke Hinsley having a shot blocked as early as the fourth minute. Hinsley fired narrowly over shortly afterwards following good work by Luke Lofts and Jordan Harrison.

The goal threat was all Ferriby’s and they took the lead they deserved after 16 minutes. Hinsley burst into the penalty area on the left and was brought down by home keeper Tommy Taylor to gain a penalty as he attempted to round him. Lofts calmly slotted the penalty home, sending Taylor the wrong way.

Two minutes later, Harrison hit a low shot straight to Taylor as Ferriby looked to build on their lead.

Ferriby’s midfield and defence were continually pressing Scarborough. The Seadogs were forced in to errors and in to playing back towards their own goal for much of the half. It took until the 25th minute for them to even come close to a goal with Nathan Valentine heading a free-kick wide.

Lewis Exall had to come quickly off his line to clear from Michael Coulson as he broke through. The ball reached Lofts and his effort from 40 yards with Taylor off his line went narrowly wide.

Scarborough were getting increasingly frustrated but Coulson did force Exall into one good save  in the 38th minute. On the stroke of half-time, James Walshaw saw a header drop just over the bar, though Exall did have it covered.

The second-half  saw Scarborough change their tactics and they completely dominated the half. Ferriby rarely got the ball out of their own half. Clearances out of defence reached the half-way line where they were met by Scarborough’s back-four who were then able to launch yet another attack.

James Cadman and former Ferriby player Wayne Brooksby were  constant threat out wide and Walshaw and Coulson caused problems up-front.

However, despite their pressure, Scarborough still found it difficult to creat goos goal-scoring chances. Josh Lacey dragged a shot wide, a header went over the bar and Brooksby shot narrowly wide.

Even so, it seemed like it would only be a matter of time before the pressure got its reward and Scarborough finally equalised after 67 minutes. Exall did well to parry a shot but the ball fell to Kevin Burgess who rammed the ball home. Exall suffered a dead leg in the incident though he did stay on the pitch.

Ferriby’s first goal attempt of the half came just after the equaliser when Dan Norton shot across the goal.

Scarborough’s second goal contained an element of good fortune. Lacey’s rather wayward shot reached Brooksby who hit a low shot just inside the post.

Ferriby were still working hard but the intensity of their first-half display was always going to be difficult to continue for a full 90 minutes, especially against a side as good as Scarborough.

Credit to Ferriby, though, because it was only in added time that Brooksby scored the clinching goal when a cross-field allowed him to run on and shoot past the advancing Exall.

In the end, this was a good performance from Ferriby even if the final result was disappointing. Scarborough are one of the better teams in the division and they were made to struggle by Ferriby, especially in the first-half.

Manager Chris Bolder commented after the game,

“The performance was pleasing tonight. I think it was a game of two halves.

In the first-half we set our system up and played the game plan perfectly. We frustrated and limited their chances and looked a threat ourselves.

“The second-half, they made a tactical change at half-time and it stumped us a little bit and they got a bit of a roll on and we struggled to contain the attacks wave after wave. We tried a couple of different systems to try and counteract it but sometimes in football it is difficult to stop the momentum when it’s going against you.

“We tried to play two up front to stem the flow and we tried an extra man in midfield to contain them. But they’ve got quality players all round the pitch. What we’re finding at the moment is that we have to be at the peak of our performance physically, technically and tactically for the full game and that’s difficult to sustain at the moment.”

It has not been the greatest of starts for Ferriby but heir displays against South Shields and Scarborough have shown that they have the ability to compete with the best teams in the division.

There i no need for despondency if one considers that the current squad has not played a significant number of games at Step 3 or above. It takes time to adjust to the pace, fitness levels and the quality of the opposition. What is needed, and it will come, is that extra experience of this level of football and to develop a consistency from game-to-game.    

NFU: Lewis Exall,  Ben Clappison, Dan Norton, Jamie Forrester , Jack Mail, James Piercey, James Williamson, Alex Knox (James Nichols 69),,  Jordan Harrison (Joe Lamplough 86),  Luke Lofts , Luke Hinsley  Subs not used : Ben Leyland, Johnny Saltmer, Dan Nichols

Scarborough Athletic: Tommy Taylor, Josh Lacey, Dave Merris, Nathan Valentine, Kevin Burgess, Bailey Gooda, James Cadman, Leon Scott (Will Annan 45),  James Walshaw, Michael Coulson, Wayne Brooksby (Jackson Jowett 90+4). Subs not used: Tom Morgan, Ross Killock, Luke Dean



Our Sponsors