Oxford City 2 NFU 3 (SN)

The Skrill North
Tuesday 21 January 2014
Oxford City 2 North Ferriby United  3

Scorers: NFU: Anthony Wilson 6, 64; Ryan Kendall 17
Oxford City:Jamie Cook 59p, 63p

Ferriby went three points clear at the top of the Skrill North with a battling 3-2 win at Oxford City. It capped a good evening for Ferriby as promotion rivals Altrincham and Solihull both lost at home.

After taking a two goal lead through Ryan Kendall and Anthony Wilson in the first-half. a lack of composure saw Ferriby pegged-back by 2 penalties. However Ferriby’s response was immediate and Anthony Wilson fired home the winner.

The villagers took the lead after 6 minutes when Anthony Wilson headed home Danny Clark’e cross from the right.
Ferriby were having the better of the game and won a number of corners in quick succession. The pressure finally told after 17 minutes. Liam King’s powerful drive hot the post and rebounded to Jamie Yates who drew a good one-handed save from Mark Scott. The ball went straight to Ryan Kendall who scored from close-range.

Oxford came close to pulling one back but Danny Hone’s superb diving header on the goal-line kept out Mark Bell’s shot.

Ferriby had the greater possession but chances were not forthcoming. Oxford tended to play the ball out of defence, hoping to draw Ferriby up-field before hitting the ball long. However, Oxford found it hard to break through The Villagers’ midfield and defence.

Adam Nicklin was alert to a long-ball played up to Kayden Jackson and tackled him outside the area to clear the danger.

The Villagers were worth their two goal lead at half-time.

Ferriby opened the second-half with Gregg Anderson heading wide from a Yates’ corner.

Play switched from end to end with no real threat on either goal. A lack of composure in a four minute spell could have cost Ferriby dear. Nathan Peat fouled Bell and Cook hammered the penalty high to Nicklin’s right. Four minutes later the scores were level. Danny Clarke conceded a penalty in an off-the-ball incident with Lee Henderson. Cook put the penalty to the other side. Nicklin got a hand to it but it was too powerful for him to keep it out.

Ferriby’s response was immediate. From the kick-off, the ball reached Anthony Wilson on the right of the area and his powerful shot gave Scott no chance.

There was little goal-mouth incident for the rest of the game as both sides probed each other’s defence without causing any serious threat.

It may not have been a pretty performance but Ferriby deserved the points as they enjoyed the greater possession and offered more threat.

Manager Billy Heath commented, “It was a great result. It was disappointing to throw away a two goal lead again but the immediate response after their equaliser was pleasing. It was a long day and in the end it is the result that matters.”

NFU: Adam Nicklin Paul Robson, Nathan Peat, Liam King, Gregg Anderson,  Danny Hone (Matt Wilson 79), Danny Clarke, Jon D’Laryea, Anthony Wilson, Ryan Kendall (Danny Clayton 76), Jamie Yates (Russ Fry 65). Subs not used: Antoni Pecora, Nathan Jarman

Oxford City: Mark Scott, Declan Benjamin, Paul Stonehouse, Michael Pook, Lee Henderson, Chris Willmott, Mark Bell, Darren Pond, Kayden Jackson, Jamie Cook, Tom Winters. Subs not used: Adam Learoyd, Liam Malone, Mike Symonds, Andy Ballard, Zac McEacheran




Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors