NFU v Westella & Willerby (ERSC 3)


East Ridin g Senior Cup
 12 February 2019

North Ferriby United    1         Westella & Willerby  1 ( AET.  NFU win 4-3 on penalties)
Callum Harrison 16                   Chris Spinks 53

A Ferriby side showing a number of enforced changes had to work hard for this victory against their Humber Premier League opponents. The changes were due to a combination of  player unavailability and to some being cup-tied.

It was a game with a number of niggling fouls but there was no nastiness about any of them. However, the stoppages did little to help the game flow.

Credit to Westella for their commitment and effort and for pushing The Villagers hard but Ferriby did deserve the win.

The Villagers had most of the play throughout the game and managed 20 attempts on goal to Westella’s four.

Westella’s only attempt on goal in the first-half was as early as the second minute when debutant keeper Craig O’Grady did well to punch away a swirling shot from Alex Wood. From then on the half belonged to Ferriby.

Skipper James Piercy was switched from his normal defensive role to striker and he caused problems for Westella all through the game. He drew a good diving save from visiting keeper Curtis Alden after 13 minutes.

Ferriby’s goal came from Callum Harrison on 16 minutes with a header from a Jordan Windass corner.

The Villagers went close on a number of occasions through Piercy, Niah Payne and james Nichols but a second goal would not come.

Ferriby paid for those misses after 53 minutes when a defensive error allowed Chris Spinks to lob O’Grady.

Ferriby pressed after that but could not find the finishing touch. Westella defended strongly and credit needs to go to Alden to Alden who struggled for much of the match with a leg injury.

As always when a team is on top but the scores are level, there is always a danger that the opponents will create a goal. Westella probably thought they could do so but had little threat.

Extra-time was largely similar to normal time in terms of Ferriby’s possession and territory but Westella’s defending meant the game went to penalties.

Ferriby had an advantage after the first penalty for each team. Ryan McAllister hit the post for Westella whilst Jack Smith netted for Ferriby. Rinalds Jurkstis, Rob Petch and Spinks scored for the visitors before Callum Stone saw his penalty superbly saved by O’Grady. That save won the match as Ferriby’s other three penalties from Callum Harrison, Ben Leyland and Aaron Brettell all found the back of the net.

Manager Joe Lamplough was relieved after the game,

“We made hard work of it tonight. We had the chances to score far more goals. We have to take that as a big positive because we haven’t really been creating that many chances recently.

“Again, the boys worked hard and it was a good team performance. We were punished for both not taking chances and for making one major mistake in defence.

“We deserved the win and we are obviously still in with a chance of winning a trophy this season. That is a big plus given our overall form.”

NFU: Craig O’Grady, Dan Nichols (Paul Foot 80), Aaron Brettell, Ben Leyland, Jack Mail,  Callum Harrison, Jake Martindale, Jordan Windass (Jack Smith 61),, James Nichols (Joseph Robinson 61), James Piercy, Niah Payne Sub not used: Jamie Waltham

Westella & Willerby: Curtis Alden, Rod Dodson, Shaun day, Dave Gilbey, Ryan McAllister, Sam McLaughlin, Rob Petch, Lee Fisher (Andrew Lewis 74), Matt Fyvie (Callum Stone 89), Chris Spinks, Alex Wood (Rinalds Jurkstis 82). Subs not used: Busilane Kashilembo, Andy Bagshaw

 Attendance: 81


Our Sponsors