NFU v Hull City (BBMT)

Billy Bly Memorial Trophy
North Ferriby United 0  Hull City  2
                                                Fraizer Campbell 72; Elliot Holmes 81

A with last Saturday’s game against Spennymoor, Ferriby may have lost this game against Hull City but they were certainly not disgraced. The Villagers held their own for much of the game  and it needed two late goals from Frazier Campbell and Elliot Holmes to win the game for City.

City fielded a team sprinkled with first-team players and their quality obviously showed throughout the game. City could have won by a larger margin, hitting the bar twice and creating a number of good chances. However, Ferriby’s defence was generally solid with Ben Leyland in particular putting in a really good performance.

City were originally scheduled to bring just an under-23 team but the late announcement of the first-team being at the ground for photographs and autographs, plus some playing, boosted the crowd to around 800. The availability of the first-team players certainly went down will with City’s supporters and there was a great atmosphere in the ground.

The game was entertaining with City pressing from the start and they pushed Ferriby back for long periods of the game. That was, perhaps, to be no more than expected.

Even so, The Villagers’ defence acquitted itself well and the midfield did good work, though much of it had to be defensive rather than attacking in nature.  Ferriby did have their moments going forward and created some chances.

The size of the crowd was the largest that a largely inexperienced Ferriby side had played in front of and it will have stood the players in good stead for the season to come.

Both sides played good football, preferring to keep the ball on the ground rather than hitting and chasing long balls. Chris Bolder and Paul Robson are instilling in to their young squad the need to play football rather than just give the ball away when they are under pressure. The two of them must surely be  amongst the brightest new management prospects around.

City regularly created chances. Jon Toral hit a shot at former City keeper Johnny Saltmer before Leyland blocked a David Milinkovic shot. These two had a tremendous battle until Leyland was substituted after 58 minutes.

Milinovic was a thorn in Ferriby’s side all through the night. He was instrumental in many of their attacks and was a constant threat. He saw one shot headed away and another saved by Saltmer.

Adam Curry almost gave City the lead but his downward header at a corner bounce up and hit the bar.

Milinovic and Toral all went close but the goal continued to elude City.

Ferriby did create some half-chances but the closest they came to a goal in the first-half was a James Nichols that went just over the bar from Adam Bolder’s nicely flighted corner.

The second-half followed a similar pattern of mostly City pressure  and occasional threats from Ferriby.

Bolder made five changes in the 58th minute and eight in all. Perhaps surprisingly, they did not adversely impact on Ferriby’s performance. Bolder clearly has his squad playing to a system and his players know what is required of then when they step on to the pitch. It is a credit to Bolder, Robson and the players that the side did not look suddenly disjointed at this point.

City’s pressure finally told and their two goals were both provided by good play from Milinkovic. The first, after 72 minutes, saw Fraizr Cambell guide home Milinkovic’s free-kick from the left. The clinching goal after 81 minutes saw Elliot Holmes fire-home empahtically Milinkovic’s cross.

The result was no more that City deserved but Ferriby made them work hard and Bolder was pleased with his side’s performance.

Bolder commented afterwards,

“It was a very pleasing performance. We have to understand the team we came across tonight, We had to concede territory and possession. I thought on the whole our possession was good. The lads who started the game on Saturday did well but you could see they were tired in the second-half. But these minutes on the pitch are important to us.

“The plan was always to make substantial changes around the 60 minute mark. There were a lot of tired legs around and it also give s the opportunity to other lads to come on show what they can do. It’s always difficult to get into a game when you come on and the other team is on top but I thought the lads did ever so well.

“We’ve worked on our defensive shape a lot as a defensive back four and midfield three. We showed that on Saturday against a strong Spennymoor side and tonight against a very good City side.

“We had occasions where we won the ball back and caught them on the break. Some of our passes looked a little tired but that is to be expected.

“All-in-all it was god performance and the players will have learned a lot.”

NFU: Johnny Saltmer, Ben Leyland (Jack Smith 58), Paul Robson (Alex Brittain 45), Jamie Forrester (Joe Lamplough 58), James Piercey (Jack Mail 58), Dan Nichols, Danny Norton (Myles Lawman 85), Adam Bolder (Eddie Rogerson 58), James Nichols, Luke Lofts (Alex Bannister 58), Jordan Harrison

Hull City: George Long, Robbie McKenzie, Kevin Stewart (Dan Batty 76), Jon Toral (Tyler Hamilton), David Milinkovic, Fraizer Campbell, Angus MacDonald, Adam Curry, Max Sheaf, Elliot Holmes, Jackson Irvine. Subs not used: Callum Burton, Will Taylor, Billy Chadwick, Brandon Fleming, Josh Thacker, Jacob Greaves

Our Sponsors