NFU v Guiseley (POSF 2L)

Skrill North Promotion semi-final 2nd leg
Saturday 3 May 2014

North Ferriby United  0  Guiseley 1 
Guiseley: Wayne Brooksby 61

Att: 920

Ferriby were obviously disappointed with the result and the aggregate score that ended their promotion hopes. Over both games they had far more goal-scoring chances but could not make them count. Guiseley took most of the few opportunities that they had to make it four wins out of four over Ferriby this season.

Ferriby manager Billy Heath commented “It’s obviously disappointing to lose but I am really proud of my players. We had only four fully fit players in the starting line-up today but the whole team gave their all. I couldn’t have asked for more. Credit to Guiseley for winning the tie. They had a game plan and kept to it.”

The game, as a whole was a credit to both sides. Despite the importance of the game and the pressure involved, it was played in a good spirit through-out. Referee Fyvie also played his part with generally firm and sensible refereeing.

At training on Thursday there were only five players fit enough to train with the ball. The side’s horrendous run of injuries has taken its’ toll in the final six weeks of the season. Players have  not had the opportunity to recuperate as much as they would like and this has sometimes been reflected in team performances. The strength of character to play and perform i these circumstances is something special.

An entertaining first-half produced few serious threats on goal from either side. Ferriby had the better of the first 15 minutes in terms of possession and territory but had only a single Nathan Jarman shot that went wide to show for it. Guiseley also only had one opportunity in this period with Oli Johnson heading wide.

Guiseley gradually came more in to the game as an attacking force and Adam Boyes inside pass saw Johnson crowded –out by Ferriby’s defence.

Ferriby’s response was immediate with Anthony Wilson just being unable to reach Jake Lawlor’s misdirected header.

With both defences solid in the middle, both teams tried to attack down the wings with Brooksby prominent for Guiseley and Emerton for Ferriby. Ferriby’s Jon D’Laryea in his first game for eight weeks, was controlling midfield as Ferriby pressed forward.

Ferriby threatened more in the final 15 minutes of the half. Jarman fired two shots at visiting keeper Steve Dickinson and Matt Wilson’s far post header went across the face of the goal with nobody able to get a touch.

The second-half was largely the same as the first. Ferriby pressed more and had more opportunities but Gusieley played a very controlled and disciplined game to constantly thwart Ferriby’s attacks.

Dickinson did well to make a flying save ahead of the incoming Anthony Wilson before reareaching the ball just ahead of Jarman.

The only goal, and the one that sealed the tie, came after 61 minutes. Nathan Peat misjudged a pass and this allowed Brooksby to take the ball past him before cutting inside to fire a low 2-yard shot just inside Adam Nicklin’s left-hand post.

Ferriby were undeterred and Danny Clarke brought a diving one-handed save from Dickinson. The keeper then saved Anthony Wilson’s follow-up attempt.

By this point Guiseley seemed generally content to let Ferriby take the game to them but luck was not with the home side. Anthony Wilson thought he had an equaliser in the 87th minute but his shot hit Dickinson’s leg as the keeper dived the wrong way.

Substitute Alex Johnson should have doubled the score for Guiseley deep in added time. A mix-up between Nicklin and Mark Gray allowed him to take the ball through on goal but he was denied by a superb tackle from Matt Wilson.

Ferriby will rue their missed opportunities over the two games. Gusieley have proved the old adage that goals win matches. However they will take pride in a successful first season at this level. To finish as runners-up in their first season at this level is a tremendous achievement. Add to this the fact that they equalled their best ever FA Cup run and reached the quarter-final of the FA Trophy and it all adds up to a splendid season. There is still the chance to retain the East Riding Senior Cup when they play Bridlington Town on May 13th.

Heath commented further, “Despite the disappointment of today, it has been a successful season. We have played some really good football and showed that we can more than compete at this level. As a club we have achieved more than our initial expectations. We now pick ourselves up, play the East Riding Final then plan for next season.”

NFU: Adam Nicklin, Paul Robson (Dean Lisles 82), Nathan Peat, Jon D’Laryea, Mark Gray, Matt Wilson, Danny Clarke, Russell Fry, Anthony Wilson,  Nathan Jarman, Danny Emerton
Subs not used: Josh Wilde, Antoni Pecora, Lewis McMahon, Gregg Anderson,

Guiseley:) Steve Dickinson, Andy Holdsworth , Ben Parker,  Danny Hall, Danny Ellis, Jake Lawlor, Wayne Brooksby (Rhys Meynell 85), Danny Boshell (Michael Potts 85), Adam Boyes, Oli Johnson (Alex Johnson 56), Gavin Rothery , Non-playing subs: Kevin Holsgrove, Steve Drench



Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors