NFU 5 Corby Town 0 (NLN)

Vanarama National League North
3 October 2015

North Ferriby United   5       Corby Town 0             
Danny Clarke 2, 80
Danny Emerton 6
Ashley Palmer 49
Liam King 71 pen

Attendance: 443

The Villagers went in to this game without a recognised striker but you would not have realised it from this performance.

Ferriby stunned Corby with two goals in the opening six minutes and controlled the game from this point on.

Danny Clarke pounced after just 80 seconds to score from six yards after Corby keeper Paul Walker blocked Liam King’s shot. Danny Emerton doubled the score after six minutes when he fired home from close range following a sweeping move down the left that involved Adam Bolder, Curtis Bateson and Josh Wilde.

From this point on, Ferriby continually pressed forward. Adam Bolder controlled midfield as Ferriby attacked down both wings and through the middle. Bateson, Emerton and Clarke gave the Corby defence a torrid time with their pace and control.

Mark gray saw a header clawed from under the bar by Walker and Bolder had a shot deflected for a corner.

Ash Palmer headed a free-kick wide before Emerton, King and Bateson all had shots within 15 seconds of each other.

Corby had just two real opportunities. Ferriby keeper Adam saved at Spencer Weir-Daley’s feet and then held a shot from him.

King was foiled by Walker as Ferriby continued to look for a third goal against a side that was struggling to cope with The Villagers.

The game was sealed after 49 minutes when Ash Palmer rose unchallenged to head home Russ Fry’s well-flighted corner.

Corby did try to take the game to Ferriby after this but, as in the first-half, they made little headway against Ferriby’s midfield and defence. Nicklin, again, had only two real saves to make from Duane Coutrney and Kabongo Tshimanga.

The Villagers’ defence was dominant and rarely put a foot wrong as they frustrated Corby’s attacks time after time.

Ferriby’s accurate passing and one-touch football continued to cause problems for Corby.

 Liam King scored hammered a penalty to Walker’s left after Courtney handled an Emerton cross after 71 minutes.  

The final goal came after 80 minutes. Clarke had harassed and hassled Corby’s central defenders throughout and he dispossessed Herve Pepe N’Goma and ran on to slide the ball past Walker.

The goal epitomised Clarke’s performance. On one occasion he challenged Walker for the ball. The keeper pased 10 yards to a defender who was then challenged by Clarke as he got the ball away to a third defender who immediately found himself under pressure from Clarke.

This performance was as comprehensive as the score suggests. The Villagers made few errors and played some very attractive one-touch football at pace.

Manager Billy Heath commented, “This was a superb all-round team performance. We scored five and could have a few more. We defended well and barely allowed them an opportunity. The midfield controlled the game and our strikers ran their defence all over the place.”

Ferriby’s unbeaten run now extends to 13 games and they have climbed to sixth in the Vanarama National League North.

NU: Adam Nicklin, Sam Topliss, Josh Wilde,  Liam King (Louis Bruce 78), Ash Palmer (Ben Middleton 72), Mark Gray, Danny Clarke,  Nathan Hotte (Russell Fry 30), Danny Emerton,  Adam Bolder, Curtis Bateson: Subs not used: Tom Nicholson, Tom Davie

 Corby Town:  Paul Walker, Kalern Thomas (Kabongo Tshimanga 35), Chris Carruthers,, Duane Courtney,  Herve Pepe N’Goma,  Conor Anderson, Wilson Carvalho,    Cleveland Taylor,  Callum Ball(Aaron Hassell 66), Spencer Weir-Daley, Ashley Sammons (Ben Milnes 35). Subs not used: Danny Draper, Sam Donkin,




Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors