NFU 4 Woking 0 (FAT 2

FA Trophy 2nd Round
Saturday 14 December 2013

North Ferriby United  4  Woking  0

Scorers: NFU: Anthony Wilson 36; Danny Clarke 50; Liam King 81, 90

A superb team performance saw Skrill North leaders Ferriby gain a deserved win over Premier Division Woking. The win puts The Villagers in the last 16 of the FA Trophy for the first time in their history.

Ferriby’s commitment and determination in midfield and defence frustrated Woking who played some good approach football but found chances few and far between. By the end, Woking were well-beaten.

The first 15 minutes saw both keepers deal well with both high and low crosses as the teams tested-out each other. The first shot on goal saw Ferriby’s Anthony Wilson fire a 20 yard at Sam Beasant. Wilson’s control and pace was a threat to Woking all afternoon.

Kevin Betsy had a good opportunity to equalise but he slid the ball past both Ferriby keeper Adam Nicklin and the far post. Betsy was Woking’s biggest threat with his movement but his colleagues could not match his performance.

Anthony Wilson saw a low drive held by Beasant then Nathan Jarman fired wide from 16 yards.

Nathan Jarman was unlucky when his 20-yard free-kick went through the wall and bounced off Beasant, hit a defender and was cleared. Ferriby continued to be the more threatening side and  deservedly took the lead after 36 minutes. A Jamie Yates free-kick caused confusion in the area and Anthony Wilson reacted well to fire into the top corner.

With half-time approaching Danny Clarke fired a shot narrowly past the pots and Beasant did well to beat Liam King to a through-ball. Woking finally drew a save from Nicklin on the stroke of half-time but it was a rare opportunity.

The second-half saw Woking attack Ferriby but the visitors were rocked after 50 minutes. Jarman’s shot rebounded off the post and Danny Clarke slammed the ball home from close range.

Woking continued to press but found it hard to find a way through Ferriby’s midfield and defence. Woking were limited to half-chances as Nicklin and his defenders dealt confidently with crosses and tackled determinedly when Woking tried to break through on the ground. Any attempts to shoot were blocked by timely defending. Woking won a number of corners but too many were wasted and crosses into the box were well-defended by Ferriby.

King and Jarman went close for Ferriby before  two Liam King goals in the final nine minutes sealed the game. First, he reacted quickly to poke home a loose ball after yet another dangerous cross from Yates. The final goal saw King run on to Russ Fry’s through-ball, round Beasant to slide the ball home from a narrow angle.

Betsy remained Woking’s biggest threat and he drew another save from Nicklin as he looked for what would have been no more than a consolation goal.

The Villagers provided a master-class in finishing as they built on a strong midfield and defensive performance.

Manager Billy Heath was delighted with the win, “We played superbly. Once again, it was a great team performance against a side from the division above. The result shows the progress we are making as a club.”

NFU: Adam Nicklin, Paul Robson, Matt Wilson  Danny Hone, Nathan Peat, Danny Clarke, Liam King, Russell Fry, Jamie Yates, Nathan Jarman (Jon D’Laryea  76), Anthony Wilson (Ryan Kendall 87. Subs not used: Antoni Pecora, Ben Hunter, Gregg Anderson

Woking: Sam Beasant , Adam Newton , John Nutter (John Goddard), Joe McNerney,  (Brett Johnson 85), Mike Cestor, Kevin Betsy, Josh Payne  , Keiran Murtagh, Charles Banya (Guiseppe Sole 57), Scott Rendell  Jack Marriott. Subs not used: Aaron Howe, Mark Ricketts

Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors