NFU 4 Leamington 1 (SN)

The Skrill North
Tuesday 10 December 2013
North Ferriby United  4  Leamington 1

Scorers: NFU: Nathan Jarman 37, 52; L King 24; A Wilson 40
              Leamington: Stefan Moore 44

Villagers’ Manager asked his boys before the game to show they were the “real deal” and his players responded emphatically to go top of the Skrill North. This is the highest position Ferriby have ever reached in the football pyramid.

Despite having virtually all the possession in the first 20 minutes, Ferriby could not find a final pass to create scoring opportunities. The nearest they came to a goal was after 8 minutes when Danny Clarke’s pass found Jamie Yates whose thunderous shot from 25 yards was punched away by keeper Tony Breeden.

Ferriby’s passing gradually became more accurate and they finally took the lead after 24minutes. Clarke fed Anthony Wilson on the right and his low cross was hammered home by Liam King from close-range. It then took a last-ditch tackle from Stephan Moore to deny Clarke a chance to score. Despite this, The Villagers totally dominated the first- half took a deserved 3-1 lead.

The Villagers doubled their lead after 37 minutes. Yates superb cross found Jarman at the far post and the striker controlled the ball before firing past Breeden.

Three minutes later Danny hone headed back a Leamington clearance to Anthony Wilson who scored from a very narrow angle.

This should have finished the game but a momentary lack of concentration in Ferriby’s defence allowed Stefan Moore to lob over Adam Nicklin to pull a goal back. This was the visitors’ only shot on target in the whole of the game. Leamington’s attacks were largely limited to chasing long clearances. Ferriby’s defence did a superb job in dealing with the high balls thus denying Leamington scoring opportunities.

Leamington were more purposeful in the second-half but they still could not create any clear chances. Once again they were limited to occasional off-target headers and shots from distance.

Ferriby continued to play patient football and clinched the game as early as the 52nd minute when Jarman drove a 25yard free-kick low through the defensive wall.

Jarman twice came close to completing a hat-trick as Ferriby continued to press. Half-chances came and went as Ferriby played-out the game.

This was a fine all-round team performance. Ferriby were solid from the back to the front and their patience early-on gained its reward.

With most of the teams around them losing, this was a good night for Ferriby.

Ferriby Manager Billy Heath was delighted with his players’ performance, ”It was a tremendous performance. The players did everything I asked of them. They showed their quality, ability and spirit. I couldn’t have asked for more and with other results also going in our favour it has been a tremendous evening.”

NFU: Adam Nicklin, Paul Robson, Nathan Peat, Liam King ( Jon D’Laryea 70), Matt Wilson, Danny Hone, Danny Clarke, Russell Fry, Anthony Wilson, Nathan Jarman (Ryan Kendall 76), Jamie Yates (Ben Hunter 83)
Subs not used:, Antoni Pecora, Gregg Anderson

Leamington: Tony Breeden, James Mace, Stephan Morley, Joe Magunda, Liam Daly, Josh Green, Matt Dodd (Will Green 65), Josh Hawker (Craig Owen 65), Stefan Moore (Ricky Johnson 65), Lee Moore, Kieron Morris Subs not used: David McNamee, Luke Bottomer,

Ferriby take a break from league action on Saturday when they entertain Woking in the FA Trophy. This will provide them with another chance to measure themselves against Skrill Premier opposition.

Philip Withers
Press Officer, NFU

Contact number: 07737623138


Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors