NFU 4 Guiseley 4 (VCN)

Vanarama Conference North
Saturday 18 October

North Ferriby United  4
L King 4; Tom Denton 31, 54; Jason St Juste 49
Guiseley  4
Adam Boyes 2, 34; Danny Lowe 56; Oli Johnson 86

HT: NFU 2  Guiseley  2 Att: 417

Nobody could have anticipated this eight-goal thriller between two sides who had each only conceded 12 goals in their previous league games.

The opening goal came after two minutes when Adam Boyes shot into an open goal a mix-up between Danny Hone and Adam Nicklin. The goal resulted from a long hurried clearance by Guiseley keeper Steve Dench who was perhaps a little fortunate to have conceded a goal himself.

Liam King hit a 20-yard drive at Drench las the lead lasted just ninety seconds. Russ Fry’s shot was parried by Drench as far as Liam King who pounced to score from close range.

The game continued end-to-end. Ferriby’s goal opportunities were more of their own making whilst Guiseley’s were largely a result of Ferriby errors in midfield and defence.

Both defences were looking rock at times and struggled with high balls.

Jamie Yates and King were providing a lot of balls to Tom Denton and Nathan Jarman  who were creating problems for Guiseley’ defence with their ball control and lay-offs. Guiseley’s main threat came from striker Adam Boyes whose pace, mobility and positioning created defensive issues for the home side.

Jarman had an opportunity to put Ferriby in front following a mix-up between Drench and a defender but the striker’s chip landed on top of the net. In response, Nicky Boshell’s 20-yard shot was held by Nicklin.

Denton put Ferriby head after 31 minutes when he rose at the far post to head home Jason St Juste’s free-kick. Like Guiseley’s early lead, this on e was also short lived. Ryan Toulson’s long ball over the Ferriby defence was picked up by Boyes who calmly scored his second of the game after 34 minutes. With half-time approaching, Boyes was denied his hat-trick by a god save from Nicklin.

The opening to the second-half was as explosive as the first. After 49 minutes Tom Denton headed Josh Wilde’s free-kick to St Just who scored from close range. Five minutes later Ferriby doubled their lead. St Juste was the provider this time as his angled shot was parried by Drench to Denton who scored from inside the goal area.

Gusieley’s response was immediate. Danny Lowe picked-up the ball in midfield and ran on unchallenged before firing 16 yard drive beyond Nicklin.

Guiseley pressed forward and Nicky Boshell’s free-kick was tipped over by Nicklin. Substitute Oli Johnson and Andy Holdsworth both went close and it was perhaps no surprise when Guiseley equalised in the 86th minute. Johnson rose at the near post to head-in Wayne Brooksby’s corner.

Jarman almost stole all three points for Ferriby in the final minute as he managed to reach a cross just ahead of Drench but the header drifted wide.

Ferriby manager Billy Heath commented, “We caused problems for them going forward and looked really dangerous. However, we didn’t defend well and paid the price. In the end it was a good point but not a great performance. On the plus side, we are back to scoring goals and that is a massive boost.”

NFU: Adam Nicklin, Nathan Peat (Louis Bruce 45+1: Matt Wilson 61), Josh Wilde,  Liam King, Gregg Anderson, Danny Hone, Jamie Yates, Russell Fry, Tom Denton, Nathan Jarman, Jason St Juste (Adam Bolder 88)  
Subs not used: Tom Nicholson, , Dan Clayton
For clarification:  Substitute Louis Bruce was himself substituted by Matt Wilson for Ferriby)

Guiseley:  Steve Drench, Ryan Toulson,  Danny Lowe, Jake Skelton,  Danny Ellis (Danny Boshell 61), Jake Lawlor, Wayne Brooksby,  Andy Holdsworth, Adam Boyes , Nicky Boshell (Danny Forrest 78)  Gavin Rothery (Oli Johnson 56). Non-playing subs: Jack Stockdill, Steve Dickinson 

Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors