NFU 4 Grimsby Town 1 (PSF)

Pre-season Friendly
North Ferriby United  4  Grimsby Town  1

Scorers: NFU: Curtis Bateson 26; Simon Russell 35;Steve Brogan 61; Vincent Mukendi 64
Scorers: Grimsby: Luke Summerfield 47
  Attendance 544

Ferriby surprised their League Two neighbours by taking a two-nil half-time lead. The first-half was an entertaining game with both sides prepared to play constructive an d attractive football.

The first ten minutes belonged to The Villagers but only went close through a Stve Brogan free-kick that curled wide of the far post.

Grimsby played themselves in to the game after 10 minutes. Danny Andrew’s free-kick drew a good flying save from Ferriby keeper Rory Watson. The keeper did well again to save from James Berrett after 17 minutes.

Star striker Omar Bogle should probably have scored after 19 minutes but put the ball wide after a good thre-man move. It probably summed up Bogle’s evening. He had a few opportunities but found himself constantly harassed by Ferriby’s Jameel  Ible and Mark gray in the first half and by Jordan Cooke and Durran Reynolds in the second.

Sean McAllister placed a glancing header wide before Ferriby brought themselves back in to the game.

The breakthrough came after 26 minutes. Ible’s clearance was flicked-on by Simon Russell to Connor Robinson. His pass allowed Curtis Bateson to take the ball on before firing past the advancing James McKeown.

Ferriby now took the game to The Mariners and went two up after 35 minutes. Danny Clarke freed Robinson on the right and his perfectly flighted cross to the far post was heade home by Russell.

Ferriby expected a response from Grimsby after the interval and it came after 47 minutes when Luke Summerfield scored with a cross-shot from the left corner of the penalty area.

This did not really change the nature of the game as both teams continued to play good football as they looked for goals.

Ferriby manager Steve Housham made regular substitutions throughout the half but they did not really disrupt the team’s performance.

There were near misses at each end. Clarke drew two saves from McKeown before Ferriby got their third goal after 61 minutes. Steve Brogan wrong-footed a defender before scoring from 18 yards.

Three minutes later the game was over. Vincent Mukendi out-paced the defence before hitting the ball past the advancing keeper.

Grimsby kept looking for goals but were getting little change from The Villagers’ defence and midfield. Watson was forced into one save and substitute Craig Ellison had to make another but, all in all, Grimsby did not really look likely to score in the final minutes.

This was a good performance by Ferriby against a team consisting of 7 or 8 players who will probably start in Grimsby’s opening League 2 match.

Manager Steve Housham was understandably pleased with both the result and the performance,

“We upped our tempo tonight compared to Saturday’s game.  Our fitness levels are increasing. A result like this brings confidence but we will not be getting carried away. It’s still early in our preparations but the result is a good benchmark against a side that has just won promotion and will be playing in League 2 in the new season.”

NFU Rory Watson, Sam Topliss, Connor Oliver, Steve Brogan, Mark Gray,  Jameel  Ible, Danny Clarke, Curtis Bateson, Connor Robinson, Danny Emerton, Simon Russell

NFU Subs used second half: Taron Hare, Jordan Cooke, Adam Porritt, Ross Armstrong, Jamie Forrester, Vincent Mukendi, Craig Ellison, , Ryan Fallowfield, Durran Reynolds,

Grimsby Town: James McKeown, Ben Davies, Josh Gowling, Andrew Boyce, Danny Andrew, Sean McAllister, Luke Summerfield, James Berrett, Omar Bogle, Dominic Vose, Ashley Chambers. Subs(None used) Tom Sawyer, Adam Rawls, Joey Finnegan, Jack Keeble, Charlie Toft, Cameron Hogy


Our Sponsors