NFU 4 Gainsborough Trinity 0 (NLN)

Vanarama National League North
2 January 2016

North Ferriby United     4    Gainsborough Trinity   0

Half-Time:  NFU   2    Gainsborough   0

NFU: Danny Emerton 30; Ashley Palmer 41; Curtis Bateson 53; Danny Clarke 74

Attendance:  612

Ferriby gained revenge for their Boxing day with this fairly comfortable victory against a Gainsborough side that finished with just nine players.

The win puts Ferriby back up to second , a point behind next Saturday’s opponents Solihull Moors.

Ferriby carried the greater throughout the game and always looked the more likely to score. Danny Clarke, Russ Fry and Liam King all went close for The Villagers in the first 20 minutes.

Nathan Jarman, Anthony Wilson and Jamie Yates, all former Ferriby players were prominent in Gainsborough’s attacks but got little change from Ferriby’s back four of Ben Middleton, Ash Palmer, Nathan Hotte and Josh Wilde.

Gainsborough found it difficult to create any goal threat and Adam Nicklin only had to make one save, diving to take a Liam Davis shot at the second attempt.

Ferriby took the lead after 30 minutes. Russ Fry’s free-kick found  Curtis Bateson on the left and  his low cross was converted from close-range by Danny Emerton.

Ferriby continued to press forward and their slick passing was causing problems for Trinity.  It was no surprise when Ferriby doubled their lead in the 41st minute. Russ Fry’s corner was met by Ben Middleton. His powerful header was going in but  Palmer got a final touch to make sure.

The second-half was similar in some ways to the first. Trinity still found it hard to break through the Ferriby defence and midfield. Ferriby pressed forward almost continually.

The Villagers virtually sealed the game after 53 minutes. Curtis Bateson dispossessed Josh Lacy then cut-in to fire powerfully past Trinity keeper Jan Budtz. This goal delighted the former Gainsborough player and it also deflated the visitors.

Any hopes that Gainsborough may have had of a fight-back disappeared  with the dismissals of  Nathan Jarman and Stephen Brogan within a minute of each other. Jarman was sent-off in the 64th minute for a two-footed tackle on Ben Middleton whilst Brogan saw red for  elbowing Danny Emerton in the face.

After this it was all one-way traffic. Tom Denton saw a downward header cleared off the line and then Danny Clarke brought a flying save from Jan Budtz.  Bateson then hit a shot at Budtz .

The final goal after 74 minutes was well-worked. Nicklin found Wilde on the left. The defender freed Bateson and his cross
 was headed home superbly by Clarke.

Ferriby went close on a number of occasions in the final few minutes but were happy to play-out the game.

The Villagers played some attractive and penetrating football throughout the game and gave a lesson in finishing. The win and the scoreline were both fully merited.

Manager Billy Heath commented,

“This was a very good display. I was pleased with the players’ discipline. I warned them both before the game and again at half-time not to get involved with the Gainsborough players and it helped us greatly.

“We defended well and pressed in midfield. The fact that they had only two on-target shots says it all. Our finishing was clinical.

“I’m happy with nine points from twelve from the four festive games. It sets us up nicely for next Saturday’s trip to Solihull.”

 NFU: Adam Nicklin,  Ben Middleton Josh Wilde,  Liam King,  Ash Palmer (Mark Gray 75), Nathan Hotte,  Danny Clarke,  Russ Fry (Adam Bolder 80)  ,Tom Denton (Ryan Kendall 75)   Danny Emerton, Curtis Bateson. Subs not used: Sam Topliss, Tom Nicholson

Gainsborough Trinity: Jan Budtz, Dominic Roma, Josh Lacy, Stephen Brogan, Jon D’Laryea, Jake Picton, Simon Russell, Liam Davis (Kane Richards 56), Anthony Wilsonv (Marc Newsham 78),  Nathan Jarman,  Jamie Yates (Charlie Binns 67)  Subs not used: Darryn Stamp, Jonathan Hedge

Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors