NFU 4 Boston United 3 (NLN)

Vanarama national League
North Ferriby v Boston United
The Eon Visual Media Stadium
7 November 2015

North Ferriby United 4
Liam King 30, 55
Tom Denton 73
Mark Gray 79

Boston United 3
Grant Roberts 13
Carl Piergianni 54
Kyle Dixon 82

Half-time: 1-1

Att: 452  

By Phil Withers

This was a thoroughly entertaining game with the result in doubt until the final whistle. Both sides were committed to playing open football and fortunes fluctuated throughout the game.

Boston kicked-off with a stiffish wind behind them. They had the better of the opening 20 minutes although scoring opportunities were limited.

Carl Piergianni wasted an early opportunity when he headed wide when well placed and unchallenged. The chance was created by a Zak Mills long throw-in and these caused problems for Ferriby throughout the game.

It was no surprise when Boston took the lead after 13 minutes. Grant Roberts pounced on a Liam King slip following another Mills throw-in to shoot home through a crowd of players from 18 yards.

Ferriby came more in to the game after 25 minutes and equalised after 30 minutes. Ben Middleton’s break from defence saw him play King in to slide the ball past Boston keeper Heinrich Ravas.

The game continued end-to-end but opportunities remained limited.
Ryan Robbins chased down a through ball which Ferriby keeper Adam Nicklin kicked against the striker only for it to go out for a goal-kick.

As half-time approached Danny Clarke saw a shot saved by Ravas whilst Tom Denton and Ash Palmer saw heads cleared off the line.

The second-half, to a large extent, followed the pattern of the first-half. Boston opened well against the wind. Another Mills throw-in after 54 saw Piergianni head home from close range.

the lead lasted seconds as Ferriby stormed forward from the re-start and King scored his second from close range.

The 57th minute saw an almighty scramble in the Ferriby penalty area. Nicklin saved well  fro point-blank range and a second shot was blocked before the ball was cleared. Nicklin was left lying injured and had to be replaced by Tom Nicholson.

Boston upped the pressure and Nicholson saved from Jordan Richards before punching the ball off Mark Jones head.

Jones should have put Boston ahead but blazed over the bar as Nicholson came out. This was a costly miss.

Ferriby had a good 10 minute spell and Denton’s stooping header from Danny Clarke’s cross put the home side in front after 73 minutes.  Six minutes later Mark ray hit Russ Fry’s corner in to give the home side a two goal cushion.

This spurred Boston and they launched an all-out assault on Ferriby’s goal. Their only reward was a Kyle Jones goal from 16-yards after an error in the Ferriby defence.

Solid defending saw Ferriby hold-out  for a win that their character and spirit deserved.

Ferriby manager Billy Heath was delighted with the result.

“Games against Boston are always tight but we scored at important times and that made a big difference.

What is pleasing is that we were behind twice but showed the character to go two goals ahead. That shows the spirit in this team.

“We are a young team and we were a bit naive after going 4-2 up  but we still defended really well.

North Ferriby United: (4-4-2): Adam Nicklin (Tom Nicholson 59), Ben Middleton, Ash Palmer, Mark Gray, Josh Wilde, Curtis Bateson (Ryan Kendall 86)  Liam King, Russell Fry, Danny Emerton  (Louis Bruce 90) Danny Clarke, Tom Denton Subs not used: Adam Bolder, Sam Topliss

Boston United  (4-4-2): Heinrich Ravas, Liam Marrs, Carl Piergianni, Zak Mills, Dylan McEvoy, Mark Jones  (Kyle Dixon 75)  Jordan Richards, Scott Garner (Nicky Walker 65), Grant Roberts, Dayle Southwell, Ryan Robbins (Alex Simmonds 45)
Subs not used: Lartley Sarpong, Cameron Johnson




Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors