NFU 3 Newton Aycliffe 0 (FAC 2QR)

Emirates FA Cup 2nd Round Qualifying Replay
29 September  2015

North Ferriby United  3  Newton Aycliffe     0
Nathan Hotte 30
Danny Clarke 69, 83                        

Attendance: 186

There is no doubt that Ferriby deserved to win this game as they controlled it from start to finish.

The Villagers played some good football throughout and had 18 goal attempts to Aycliffe’s five.

It was perhaps surprising that Ferriby led only one-nil at half time. They almost went ahead inside the first minute as Tom Denton’s lob dropped on to the top of the net.

Shortly after, Curtis Bateson stormed down the left and played a neat pass to Danny Clarke whose shot was blocked by a defender. The ball rebounded to Nathan Hotte who fired narrowly over the bar.

As Ferriby continued to press, Bateson and Hotte combined with the latter’s shot being cleared a yard from the line. The ball fell to Liam King who shot just over the bar.

The game was all Ferriby. Aycliffe were limited to long balls from defence, most of which had no end result. There only attempt on goal until just before half-time was a Matty Moffatt that was high and wide.

The Villagers took a deserved lead after 30 minutes. Bateson’s header was mis-headed by a defender and Hotte pounced to head in from close range.

As Ferriby continued to press, Adam Bolder and King went close. However as half-time apprpached, Aycliffe had their two best chances of the game.

Zak Boagey#’s shot was turned on to the post by Adam Nicklin then a minute later Aaron Brown hammered in a powerful angled drive that Nicklin took at the second attempt. These chances were a warning to Ferriby that the game was a long way from being won.

In many ways, the second-half was a repeat of the first with Ferriby in control. Bolder, king and Bateson all went near for Ferriby.  Dennis Knight going close for the visitors before Jordan Laidler shot at Nicklin.

All this was before the 60th minute when the game started to get boil over. Aycliffe received two yellow cards in three minutes as their tackling became more desperate.
Ferriby kept their heads and responded in the most appropriate way. Bateson’s shot was parried to Clarke who scored from close range.
Between the 70 and 78th minutes Aycliffe received another four yellow cards as their discipline went to some extent.

Ferriby continued to remain calm and clinched the game after 83 minutes. King’s shot was spilled by keeper James Winter and Clarke pounced for his second goal of the game.

Ferriby closed the game out as the fire went out of Aycliffe.

This was a good and well-disciplined performance by Ferriby. They could have got dragged-in to a physical battle but showed restraint and professionalism.

Ferriby manager Billy heath commented, “This was a very disciplined by the players and they showed a lot of restraint in the second-half. Sometimes it can be easy to get drawn-in to being equally physical but the players were very professional and kept playing their own game.

“I’m obviously pleased with the result. We are i the next round and that is what matters most in a cup-tie.”

NFU: Adam Nicklin, Sam Topliss (Ben Middleton 85), Josh Wilde,  Liam King, Ash Palmer, Mark Gray, Danny Clarke, Nathan Hotte (Russell Fry 55)  , Tom Denton, Adam Bolder, Curtis Bateson (Danny Emerton 81): Subs not used: Tom Nicholson, Tom Davie, Louis Bruce,

Newton Aycliffe: James Winter, Aaron Brown, Neil Pattinson, Alex Kitchen, Grant Hickman, Brian Close, Paul Garthwaite, Zak Boagey, Matty Moffatt (Alan Harrison 85), Dennis Knight (Jack Gibson 81)  Jordan Laidler (Stuart Banks 66) Subs not used: Mark Stephenson, Richard Archer,


Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors