NFU 3 Leamington 1 (VCN)

The Vanarama Conference North
Tuesday 7 October 2014
North Ferriby United 3   
Jason St Just 5; Liam King 15; Nathan Jarman 33

Leamington 1
Stefan Moore 25

Ferriby deserved this win, their first in seven league games and moved The Villagers up to seventh in the table.

The Villagers off to a blistering start. In the third minute Russ Fry fed Dan Clayton on the left and it was Fry himself who was on the end of Clayton’s low cross to touch the ball narrowly wide.

Two minutes later The Villagers took the lead with Jason St Juste scoring his first goal for the club. Clayton was involved again with his cross being headed down by Tom Denton to St Juste who scored with a low shot.

Ferriby were carrying far greater threat than Leamington and they doubled the lead after 15 minutes. St Juste turned provider this time. His cross found Liam King who controlled the ball then scored with a chip to the far post.

It was not until the 21st minute that Leamington offered an attempt on goal. A shot on goal was blocked, as was the rebound before Ferriby’s defence cleared.

Despite their general lack of threat to Ferriby’s goal it was Leamington who scored next after 25 minutes. Richard Batchelor won the ball on the half-way line and raced down the left wing. His low cross left Stefan Moore with a tap-in at the far post.

Despite conceding, it was Ferriby who responded best and King twice fired just over the bar. Gregg Anderson a Fry corner narrowly wide. After 33 minutes Ferriby increased their lead. St Jute’s corner was head goalwards by Denton and was not properly cleared allowing Nathan Jarman to score from close range. The goal effectively sealed the game.

Leamington’s reply was limited to a blocked shot from Danny Newton and a low cross from Aron Wint that was well-taken by Adam Nicklin.

Ferriby opened the second-half by carrying the game to Leamington rather than just sitting-back on their lead. This made it difficult for Leamington to get back in to the game who managed only one on-target shot in the half.

Fry fired a free-kick over early in the half. Midway through Denton saw a first-time goal-bound shot blocked. Two minutes later Danny Newton drew a great flying one-handed save from Nicklin. Apart from the goal, this was the only shot the visitors had on target all night.

Jarman had three further attempts on goal as Ferriby continued to control the game.

This was a disciplined and controlled performance from Ferriby. In many ways the performance was similar to most of their recent games. However, tonight The Villagers found their goal-scoring touch. The defence was solid and the midfield ran the game. Ferriby were threatening on most of their attacks.

Ferriby Manager Billy Heath was delighted with his players’ showing, ”It was a good performance. We played well as a team and ensured that Leamington offered little threat. We felt tht we had the game at half-time and I just asked the players to give a disciplined performance in the second-half. To be fair we have played just as well in our recent games but have just failed to score enough goals.”

NFU: Adam Nicklin, Nathan Peat,Josh Wilde, Liam King, Gregg Anderson, Danny Hone (Matt Wilson 36), Dan Clayton (Jon D’Laryea 70), Russell Fry, Tom Denton, Nathan Jarman, Jason St Juste
Subs not used: Tom Nicholson, Adam Bolder, Louis Bruce

Leamington: Neil Collett, James Fry, Stephen Morley, Joe Magunda (Lee Moore 68),  Jamie Tank, James Mace, Aron Wint(Matthew Dodd 67), Jack Edwards,  Stefan Moore, Danny Newton, Richard Batchelor. Subs not used: Stuart Pierpoint, Liam Maher, David McNamee

Ferriby take a break from league action on Saturday when they entertain Grantham Town in the FA Cup. 


Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors