NFU 3 Hull City 0 (ERSC SF)

East Riding Senior Cup
Tuesday 18th March 2014

North Ferriby United 3  Hull City  0
Scorer: NFU: Ryan Kendall 11, 61; Lewis McMahon 37

Ferriby’s experience proved too much for a young Hull City side who were very much second-best through-out the game.

Ferriby controlled the game from the start. City keeper Joe Cracknell needed two attempts to gather a dangerous low cross from Ryan Kendall.

Good work between Ryan Kendall and Danny Emerton saw Danny Clarke crowded out by City’s defence before he could get in a shot. As Ferriby increased the pressure, Lewis McMahon and Jamie Yates both shot wide.

Ferriby’s pressure finally told after 11 minutes. Nathan peat’s through-ball was perfectly judged by Kendall who beat City’s back line to reach the ball and fire past the advancing Cracknell.

City could make little headway against a determined and well-organised Ferriby midfield and defence. They could not find a telling pass or create any significant chances.

Wilson, Kendall, and Emerton all went close to a second Ferriby goal before City finally managed a goal-bound attempt after 35 minutes. Unfortunately for City, good defending from Mark Gray denied Karim Rossi scoring with a close-range header.

Ferriby’s response was immediate. Lewis McMahon seized on a loose ball 25 yards from goal and fired in a superb shot low to Cracknell’s right to double The Villagers’ lead.

With half-time approaching, Yates fired wide a 20-yard free-kick just wide before City came close to scoring. Two goal-bound shots were blocked by some fine defending by Ferriby and these happened to be City’s last attempts on goal for the game.

The second-half followed a similar pattern to the first with Ferriby always in control and ever the more threatening side.

Tim Taylor had a shot blocked before Cracknell made an excellent diving save to turn Kendall’s shot for  a corner. The corner was eventually cleared for a second one which resulted in a Wilson shot being kicked away when it was just short of the line.

The inevitable third goal was not long-delayed. An error by cracknel allowed Kendall to shoot home from 10 yards and the game was effectively over.

City’s attacks lacked penetration and Ferriby’s defence was rarely troubled. The nearest to a goal for City was a low cross from Connor Henderson which Matthew Fletcher was unable to control and the opportunity went begging.

Ferriby continued to press and Cracknell did well to race from his line to block Kendall as seemed to be about to complete his hat-trick. Ferriby finished the game still looking for goals with McMahon and Nathan Jarman both going close.

This was a very assured performance from Ferriby ahead of Sarurday’s vital Skrill North game at Guiseley.

Ferriby manager Billy Heath commented, “It was a fantastic performance by the players. They showed their character, determination and skill and always looked the likely winners.”

The only down-side for The Villagers was an ankle injury to Matt Wilson who had to be substituted.

Ferriby will now play Bridlington Town in the Final with both the date and the venue to be decided.

NFU: Antoni Pecora, Paul Robson, Nathan Peat, Tim Taylor, Matt Wilson (Nathan Jarman 78), Mark Gray, Danny Clarke (Russell Fry 75), Danny Emerton,Lewis McMahon, Ryan Kendall, Jamie Yates (Josh Wilde 67)
Subs not used: Anthony Wilson, Liam King,
Hull CityJoe Cracknel, Sam Topliss, Frazer Shaw, Dougie Wilson, Ben Clappison, Emanuel Monthe (Max Clark 45), Paul McElroy (Danny Chambers 58), Connor Henderson, Matthew Fletcher, Karim Rossi, Cllaum Jahraldo-Martin. Subs not used: Rory Watson, Elliot Kebbie, Matthew Dixon, 

Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors