NFU 3 Grantham Town 1 (Evo Prem)


Evostik Northern Premier League Premier Division

North Ferriby United  3  Grantham Town 1

The scoreline does not do Ferriby justice as they controlled most of the game and could, and should, have won by a much larger margin. Wasted chances, good goalkeeping from James Martin and some desperate defending kept the score down.

Grantham looked most likely to score in the early stages with Karl Demidh bringing a diving save from Antoni Pecora who then reacted quickly to turn over Smith's follow-up shot.

Ferriby then started to impose themselves with Anthony Wilson, Ryan Kendall and Ryan Williams causing problems with their pace and movement. 

Wilson saw his cross almost turned-in for an own goal by Alistair Asher as reached the ball just before Williams. Gregg Anderson then saw his shot cleared off the line following a partial clearance from a Williams corner.

Grant Brindley headed over his own bar under pressure from Wilson and Gregg Anderson and Wilson both saw efforts cleared off the line.

Wilson finally gave Ferriby a well-deserved lead after 28 minutes. He was played-in by Williams and rounded Martin to slide the ball home.

Grantham started to press but struggled to create clear opportunities. Their equaliser after 41 minutes stunned Ferriby. The ball was lost on Ferriby's left and Kallum Smith was left with tiome and space to place a fine curling shot into the far top corner of the net.

Kendall restored Ferriby's lead after 51 minutes when Danny Clarke's pass found him with time and space to slide the ball past Martin.

Ferriby had numerous chances to put the game out of Grantham's reach. Kendall and Wilson had good chances but failed to find the target.

Ferriby began to dominate the game. Clarke saw a header scrape past the post and Martin turned awa a Williams cross just ahead of the on-rushing Wilson.

Wilson had a good opportunity but fired over from eight yards. Kendall then missed a similar chance as he was closed down by the keeper and a defender.

Martin did well to just get a hand to the ball as Kendall was about to go round him to score.

Williams saw an in-swinging corner cleared off the line as Ferriby continued to control the game.

Wilson clinched the game in the 74th minute when he turned a defender in midfield and raced-on to place the ball past the advancing Martin.

Antoni Pecora saved well from Sam MacVicar who the saw a cross-cum-shot turned away by Gregg Anderson.

The game finished with Gary Bradshaw,  Wilson and Bolder all going close.

Manager Billy Heath was pleased with his side's performance, "It is good to be playing again after the bad weather. It was a good performance today and we created plenty of chances."

Ferriby's players responded well after the recent enforced break due to the weather. The passing and movement was good and there was solid work as usual from the defence.

NFU: Antoni Pecora, Steve Gardner, Nathan Peat, Liam King, Gregg Anderson, Paul Foot, Danny Clarke,
Chris Bolder, Anthony Wilson, Ryan Kendall  (Gary Bradshaw 75), Ryan Williams (Oliver Banks 80)
Non-playing subs: Russell Fry, Steve Ridley, Rob Moy

Grantham Town: James Martin, Alistair Asher, Sam Saunders, Deon Miekle, Grant Brindley, Danny Elliott, Hathan Watson, Emeke Nwadike (Rhys Lewis 70), Karl Demidh (Alex Troke 75), Sam MacVicar, Kallum Smith (Jamie McGhee 65) Non-playing subs: Damian Magee, Tommy Hannigan,


Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors