NFU 3 AFC Fylde 0 (NLN)

Vanarama National League
North Ferriby United 3
Ashley Palmer 2
Liam King 51 pen
Tom Denton 84

AFC Fylde  0
Half-time: 1-0

Att: 365

The Villagers climbed up to second place with awell-deserved win over fellow promotion hopefuls AFC Fylde.

The result was Ferriby’s fourth consecutive win and their third consecutive clean sheet.

Ferriby stunned Fylde with a goal after just seventy seconds. Adam Bolder’s in-swinging corner from the right was met by Ashley Palmer who thundered home a header from six yards.

It was almost two for Ferriby seven minutes later when Danny Clarke’s low shot hit the post.

Play was end-to-end with both sides seeing efforts blocked on the edge of the penalty area as defences quickly closed down ant attacks.

Tom Denton hit the bar with a dipping 25-yard shot before Fylde really started to get in the game. They began to push Ferriby back with Danny Rowe, Matty Hughes and Josh Wilson linking well upfront.

However, they found it difficult to create clear chances and were mainly reduced to shooting from distance. Ferriby keeper Tom Nicholson only had two shots to save, both of which were hit straight at him.

The Villagers were pressing Fylde in all areas of the field and The Coasters were often force to play the ball back towards their own goal in an attempt to create space and keep possession.

With half-time approaching, Denton put a header just over the bar. At the other end, Wilson was unlucky to see a great curling shot hit the post and bounce away.

The second-half saw Ferriby get off to another good start.  In the 51st minute Bolder broke behind the defence and was brought down in the area by Brad Roscoe. Liam King sent Hinchliffe the wrong way from the spot to double The Villagers’ lead.

Ferriby had just two other scoring efforts in the second. Clarke hit a shot wide shortly after the penalty. The other came after 84 minutes when Clarke’s surging run saw him touch the ball to Denton who fired home an angled shot.

In-between those attempts, Fylde had much of the play but Ferriby’s pressing game continued to force Fylde back. Just as in the first-half, Fylde were largely forced to shoot from distance. Nicholson had to make just two saves, the second a flying one from Sam Finley’s 20-yard drive in added time.

Ferriby had the better of the closing minutes with Fylde being forced in to errors by Ferriby’s tackling.

Ferriby boss Bill Heath commented,

“ Apart from a 20 minute spell in the first-half I thought we dominated the game. We had more of a cutting edge than Fylde.

“They played well going forward but our back four and keeper were tremendous and denied them clear scoring chances.

 I’m delighted with the result and performance, especially as we lost two palyers an hour before kick-off. We’re up to second and have kept clean sheets in the last three games. For a squad our size, it’s a tremendous performance.”

North Ferriby United: Tom Nicholson, Louis Bruce, Josh Wilde, Liam King, Ash Palmer, Mark Gray, Danny Clarke (Ryan Kendall 89), Adam Bolder, Tom Denton, Danny Emerton (Sam Topliss 74),  Curtis Bateson Subs not used: Tim Taylor, Ross Armstrong, Nathan Hotte

AFC Fylde: Ben Hinchliffe, Caspar Hughes, Alex Whittle, Richie Baker, Dom Collins, Brad Roscoe, Dion Charles (Danny Lloyd 74),  Sam Finley, Danny Rowe, , Matty Hughes, Josh Wilson. Subs not used: Matt Urwin,  Matt Blinkhorn,  Adam Sumner,  Alex Marrow


Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors