NFU 2 Worcester City 1 (SN)

Skrill North
Saturday 15th March 2014

North Ferriby United 2  Worcester City 1
Scorer: NFU: Nathan Jarman 38pen; Mark Gray 73
Worcester City: Daniel Nti 43

Leaders Ferriby put in a superb second-half performance following Danny Clarke’s controversial sending-off after 42 minutes. The win ensured The Villagers stay top of the Skrill North.

The first-half was played in a strong  strong and it took a while for the game to settle down. Neither side really came to grips with it.

Both sides had an early opportunity to score.Ferriby’s Anthony Wilson shot narrowly wide following good work by Nathan Jarman. Ellis Deeney then forced Ferriby keeper Antoni Pecora into a good diving save.

Ferriby gradually gained a degree of control and proved the better team as the half progressed.
Worcester keeper Callum Preston tipped-over a Danny Hone header and Liam King was unlucky to see a goal-bound shot blocked just short of the line. Preston then saved well from  Nathan Jarman.

Worcester pressed but offered little serious threat on goal.

Ferriby took the lead on 38 minutes. Clarke was upended by Preston just inside the area as he was about to go round the keeper and Jarman stepped-up to hammer home from the spot. To everybody’s surprise the referee did not caution the keeper

Shortly after, Nti burst through and Clarke tripped him on the edge of the area.With plenty of defenders close-by it did not seem to be a clear goal-scoring opportunity but the referee thought otherwise and  dismissed Clarke. Nti stroked home the free-kick for the equaliser.

Most people in the ground expected Worcester to take the game to Ferriby in the second-half but Ferriby dominated it. Mark Gray and Danny Hone were superb in the centre of defence. Josh Wilde and Paul Robson gave little away out wide as any Worcester threat was snuffed-out. With Nathan Peat, Russ Fry, Jarman and Liam King controlling midfield Ferriby were always a threat.
Jarman and King both went close to scoring twice and Wilson saw a header go over the bar.

The winning came goal came in the 73rd minute. Russ Fry’s free-kick was mis-headed by a defender and the ball fell to Mark Gray who turned and fired home from close-range.

Worcester pushed more in the last 10 minutes and Nti went close to an equaliser but Ferriby’s defence held firm.They paid the price for a lack of ambition.

The win showed the resolve and character that runs throughout this current Ferriby squad. A lot of teams would have looked to keep a point but Ferriby know that in a close title race it is wins that matter and they certainly deserved this victory.

 Manager Billy Heath was delighted with the result and the performance, “ It was an absolutely fantastic performance to a man. The players kept their shape in the second-half and they all worked for each other. At half-time I asked them if they believed they could win the game. The response and performance showed their belief in their ability and character. We took the game to Worcester and they rarely threatened us.”

NFU: Antoni Pecora, Paul Robson, Josh Wilde, Liam King, (c), Mark Gray, Danny Hone, Danny Clarke, Russell Fry, Anthony Wilson, Nathan Jarman, Jamie Yates Nathan Peat 45)
Subs not used: Matt Wilson, Ryan Ramsden, Danny Emerton, Ryan Kendall,
Worcester City:  Callum Preston, George Williams, Tyler Weir (James Lemon 89), Graham Hutchinson, Wayne Thomas, Aaron Williams, Daniel Nti, Ellis Deeney,Ethan Moore, Ebby Nelson-Addy. Martin Devaney (Santiago Aloi 67)
Subs not used:   Shabir Khan, Max Crisp, Carl Heeley

Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors