NFU 2 Sutton United 1 (NL)

Reporter: Phil Withers

North Ferriby United  

Sutton United

Half time:


Reporter: Phil Withers

North Ferriby United  2
Sam Topliss 11; Reece Thompson 46

Sutton United 1
Maxine Biamou 75

Half time:  NFU 1  SU  0

Star man: Ross Armstrong (NFU)

 Attendance: 372

The first-half was fairly even in terms of possession but it was Ferriby who had the best chances. Ben Middleton missed an early opportunity, putting a header wide when well-placed.  

Sam Topliss put Ferriby ahead after 11 minutes. He rose unchallenged to head home Rory Watson’s long-free-kick.

Ferriby continued to look dangerous. Kyle Wootton should have doubled the lead but put his shot wide as keeper Ross Worner came out to him. Reece Thompson had a shot blocked by Worner. Thompson and Wootton gave the Sutton defence problems all afternoon.

Ben Middleton almost scored with a cross that dipped just over the bar and landed on top of the net.

Roarie Deacon and Maxine Biamou looked dangerous for Sutton but the visitor’s chances were all from distance and did not trouble Watson who did not have save to make in the first-half.

The second-half was a much more intense half.

Ferriby doubled their lead after 46 minute. Thompson dispossessed Jamie Collins and cut in to score with a low angled shot.

The next 20 minutes were fairly even. Wootton and Steve Brogan both drew good saves from Worner.

Watson produced a good save to deny Deacon before Collins saw a shot deflected. Kevin Amankwaah saw a header scrambled off the line before Sutton camped in The Villagers’ half for most of the final 30 minutes.

A triple substitution for Sutton changed the game, especially with Chris Dixon’s pace. Despite a storming final 30 minutes Sutton wasted too many decent scoring opportunities.

A controversial decision by the referee saw a Sutton goal disallowed as the official awarded a free-kick instead of playing advantage.

Sutton did pull back a goal after 75 minutes. A break saw Biamou beat the defence before shooting past the advancing Watson

Sutton pretty much camped in the Ferriby half after this but were denied by some gritty and disciplined defending.

 After conceding so many late goals this season that have seen them drop points, The Villagers gave a collective sigh of relief at the final whistle.

Sutton may feel they had enough chances to score more goals but for once, fortune was with Ferriby.

This was a tremendous battling performance and brought some due reward after the disappointment of recent games. Ross Armstrong gave a man-of-the-match performance in midfield and was more than ably assisted by Ryan Fallowfield.

Ferriby manager Steve Housham was a very happy man after the game,

“We had a great start to each half and defended well in the final 30 minutes. I’m delighted for the players that they’ve finally got a win.

“”It’s been a difficult week with Danny Clarke leaving and Simon Russell having a broken knee-cap. The players I’ve brought in have given Darryn [Stamp, assistant manager] some good problems.

“We told Ross [Armstrong] and Ryan [Fallowfield) to make their claims to a spot and they did that.

“It’s been a great start to the month and it will do wonders for our confidence. We created more chances than last week and we put two away today.”

NFU: Rory Watson, Sam Topliss, Taron Hare, Ben Middleton, Mark Gray, Steve Brogan, Ryan Fallowfield,  Ross Armstrong, Danny Emerton (Curtis Bateson 90+3), Reece Thompson  (Conner Robinson 71) 71 Kyle Wootton
Subs not used:  Alfons Fosu-Mensa, Darryn Stamp Ryan Kendall

Suttton United: Ross Worner, Kevin Amankwaah, Ben Jefford, Dean Beckwith, Jamie Collins, Bedsente Gomis (Craig Dundas 58),  Dan Fitchett (Craig McAllister 58), Craig Eastmond, Roarie Deacon, Ryan Burge ( Chris Dixon 58), Maxine Biamou
Subs not used: Dan Spence, Simon Downer




Our Sponsors