NFU 2 Stockport County 0 (NLN)

Vanarama National League North
26 March 2016

Report by Phil Withers
 North Ferriby United 2   Stockport County  0             

NFU: Wayne Brooksby 63; Tom Denton 69
Attendance: 926
 Ferriby cemented second-spot in the National League North with a deserved 2-0 victory in front of a crowd of just over 900.

Two goals in six minutes midway through the second-half finally won this game for Ferriby. County will have been disappointed as they had the better of the first-half.

This was a game in which defences did well in a gusting wind. Both teams misplaced too many passes as they pressed forward so goal attempts were few.

The opening 20 minutes were relatively uneventful but County threatened for the rest of the half without really testing home keeper Adam Nicklin. He had just two tame on-target shots to save. Kayode Odejayi  cut in from the left to hit a shot straight at Nicklin and John Marsden fired a shot at Nicklin from 18 yards. Richard Brodie, Tom Field and Marsden all hit attempts high or wide.

In reply, Liam King’s overhead kick that went wide was Ferriby’s only shot of the half.

The second-half was a different story with Ferriby the more dominant side. County were pressed back and defended well.  

Curtis Bateson saw a shot deflected but it was not cleared. This allowed Tom Denton to get behind a defender and hit an angled shot that was blocked for a corner by keeper Ian Ormson.

Sam Toplisss had Ormson scurrying backwards to push the ball over the ball from the defender’s long deep cross. Bateson then saw a downwards header bounce narrowly wide.

Despite this pressure it was the visitors who should have taken the lead after 60 minutes. Brodie missed a good close range chance when he glanced a header wide.

Ferriby took the lead after 63 minutes. Bateson flicked the ball to Wayne Brooksby on the left and he cut in to hammer the ball past County keeper Ian Ormson.

Six minutes later, Denton sealed the game when he sprang the off-side trap to hammer the ball past Ormson.

After this, The Villagers pretty much closed out the game as County failed to find a way back. Ferriby’s defence and midfield closed down well and The Villagers attacked at every opportunity. This kept the pressure on County and was a far better option than sitting back and absorbing pressure.

County lifted themselves in the final few minutes and Nicklin produced a fine low one-handed save to deny Marsden. However, it was too little, too late.

It was a deserved victory for Ferriby against a difficult side which has perhaps dropped out of the play-off reckoning.

The result was even more valuable given that only Ferriby and Nuneaton of the top-eight sides actually won. The Villagers are now 10 points clear of Nuneaton and Tamworth who are in fifth and sixth places, both with 56 points. It is reported that Nuneaton are facing a three point deduction so the play-off chase gets tighter and tighter.

Ferriby manager Billy Heath commented,
“This was an important win today, especially with the other results. We try not to think about what other clubs are doing but it obviously helps when we do better on the day than they do.

“We deserved the win today. Conditions were difficult but the players stuck at it, especially in the second-half which we controlled from start to finish.

“They’ve been unbeaten in nine games and were looking at pinching a play-off spot.”

NFU: Adam Nicklin, Ben Middleton, Josh Wilde (Sam Topliss 45),, Liam King,  Ash Palmer, D Hone, N Hotte, Russ Fry, Tom Denton, Wayne Brooksby, Curtis Bateson (Danny Emerton 73). Subs not used: Adam Bolder, Mark Gray, Ryan Kendall,

Stockport County: Ian Ormson, Marcus Poscha, Gareth Roberts, Ryan Ellison, Sean O’Hanlon, Paul Connolly, Danny Morton (Brandon Wilson 54), Tom Field (Obi Anoruo 67), Richard Brodie, John Marsden, Kayode Odejayi (Sam Grimshaw 62. Subs not used: Wade Joyce, Dean Henderson






Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors