NFU 2 Stalybridge Celtic 0 (VCN)

Vanarama Conference North

North Ferriby United   2    Stalybridge Celtic 0
Tom Denton 22;
Danny Clarke 71

This was Ferriby’s final home fixture before their FA Trophy Final appearance at the end of the month and they produced a much more upbeat performance than on Saturday.

Stalybridge were on the back foot for much of the game but they did have some short periods of pressure but did not seriously trouble Ferriby keeper Jonathan Hedge.

Adam Bolder had a tremendous game in midfield for Ferriby and he and Russ Fry provided a lot of decent balls for Danny Clarke and Jason St Juste to maraud down the wings. With Tom Denton causing problems with his height throughout the game and Liam King with his surging runs before his half-time substitution, Stalybridge were regularly in trouble. The visitors defended well but they also rode their luck at times.

Ferriby opened brightly with King and Denton going close inside three minutes.

Stalybridge had a good opportunity after four minutes but Hedge saved well at point-blank range from Jamie Allen.
A four-man move ended with Bolder curling a shot just wide of the top corner and King fired one straight at keeper Ross Etheridge. In between these, Matt Regan directed a header at Hedge.

Ferriby took the lead on 22 minutes. Jason St Juste on the half-way line turned his defender superbly before charging down the left past another defender. His low cross found Tom Denton who turned the ball in at the near post. Ferriby continued to press but there were no significant chances before half-time.

Stalybridge had a decent spell of pressure towards half-time but despite a number of attempts on goal, Hedge was not seriously tested, though Louis Bruce cleared a Tom Bentham header off the line on the stroke of half-time.

The second-half, to some extent, mirrored the first. Ferriby had by far the greater possession and territory. Stalybridge did attack with some regularity but, again, rarely seriously troubled Hedge as Ferriby defended well when under pressure. In fact, Ben McKenna’s low shot early in the half was Hedge’s only serious save of the half.

For Ferriby, Danny Clarke saw a shot deflected just over the bar then saw his low cross just evade the in-rushing Denton in the six-yard box. St Juste had shot saved low down by Etheridge.

Ferriby deserved a second goal and it came after 71 minutes. Adam Bolder’s corner was headed goalwards by Danny Hone. Etheridge seemed to have it covered but somehow the ball escaped his grasp and allowed Clarke to score from almost on the goal-line.

That sealed the game and Ferriby pretty much dominated the rest of the game.
Stalybridge’s Harley Wigley was dismissed for a second caution deep in added time to compound the visitors’ misery.
Ferriby manager Billy Heath commented, “This was a good team performance. We could have won by a larger margin but it is the win that counts. It was good to keep a clean sheet. Games like this keep confidence high.”

North Ferriby: NFU: Jonathan Hedge, Louis Bruce, Josh Wilde (Sam Topliss 67), Liam King ,(Curtis Bateson 45), Mark Gray, Danny Hone, Danny Clarke, Russ Fry, Tom Denton, Adam Bolder, Jason St Juste. Subs not used: Ryan Kendall, Tom Nicholson, Matt Wilson

Stalybridge Celtic: Ross Etheridge, Sam Staunton-Toner, Nathan Heath, Matthew Hughes, Harley Wigley, Michael Potts, Ben McKenna, Scott Kerr,Jamie Allen, Matt Regan, Tom Bentham (Paul Ennis 75). Subs not used: James Cadman, Ollie Martin,  Josh Green, Stefan Galinski, Aiden Chippendale



Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors