NFU 2 Stalybridge Celtic 0 (SN)

Skrill North
Saturday 29th  March 2014
Report by Philip Withers

North Ferriby United 2 Stalybridge Celtic 0
Scorer: NFU: Nathan Jarman 48pen; Anthony Wilson 90

Ferriby returned to the top of the Skrill North with this win. They are now a point in front of AFC Telford who play their game-in-hand at Guiseley on Tuesday.

Ferriby had the better chances in a first half that was fairly even in terms of possession and territory. Mark Gray came close to an early goal when he headed Jamie Yates’ corner just over the bar.  Ryan Kendall and Russ Fry both went close before Kendall drew two really good saves from visiting keeper Danny East. Kendall was enjoying little luck with another shot blocked and a secong going narrowly wide.

Stalybridge came more in to the game with Josh Green having a shot blocked and the rebound was hit at Ferriby keeper Adam Nicklin for his only save of the half. Sean McConville fired a low cross-cum-shot wide whilst Joel Logan hit two shots wide. However, the visitors offered little significant threat.

The second-half was dominated by Ferriby. They took the lead after 48 minutes when Nathan Jarman hammered home a penalty after he had been fouled by Joel Bembo-Leta.. Shortly after, Liam King fired over from 18 yards.

Ferriby increased the pressure Yates’ free-kicks and corners were proving difficult for Stalybridge’s defence to deal with and they almost brought a number of goals. A Danny Hone header was blocked and Lewis McMahon fired the clearance against the angle of the crossbar and post.Jarman and Gray saw headers saved and go just over the bar.

Stalybridge had a brief spell of pressure midway through the half but created no real threat.

Liam King brought a full-length save from East before both Yates and Josh Wilde saw goal-bound drives blocked.

Stalybridge had an opportunity to equalise after 77 minutes. Hone was judged to have fouled Liam Dickinson but McConville’s penalty was saved by Nicklin. This, plus a late effort from Liam Dickinson,  were Stalybridge’s only on goal attempts of the half.
East saved well from  Gray and King as Ferriby looked for a second goal.
 Ferriby clinched the game in the 90th minute. Josh Wilde chased what seemed a lost cause to reach the ball out near the left corner flag. His neat inside pass found Anthony Wilson who finished superbly from the tightest of angles.

Ferriby Manager Billy Heath, “It was a very pleasing result. The played really well. team We dominated the game in virtually all departments. Their keeper had a great game and we would have won by a bigger margin but for him. We picked-up no injuries today which is a bonus given the number of injured of players we have injured at the moment.”

NFU:Adam Nicklin, Paul Robson, Josh Wilde, Liam King,Mark Gray, Danny Hone, Lewis McMahon (Nathan Peat 70), Russell Fry, Ryan Kendall (Anthony Wilson77), Nathan Jarman, Jamie Yates
Subs not used: Antoni Pecora, Dean Lisles, , Louis Bruce
Stalybridge Celtic: Danny East, Oliver Crowley, Andy McWilliams, Joel Bembo-Leta, Matt Regan, Josh Green (Jack Ryan 86), Paul Ennis, Joel Logan (Jack Sherratt 62), Ryan Croasdale (Obi Anouro 78), Sean McConville, Liam Dickinson Subs not used: Jack Cookson, Kristian Platt

Ferriby received good news on Friday when it was confirmed that the Eon Visual Media Stadium has met the requirements needed for a B grading. This ensures that The Villagers will be playing Conference football next season.

Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors