NFU 2 Runcorn Linnets 0 (FAC 3Q)

FA Cup with Budweiser 3rd Qualifying Round
Saturday 12 October 2013

North Ferriby United 2  Runcorn Linnets 0
NFU: Nathan Jarman 59, 66

Ferriby had the greater possession in the first-half but found it difficult to create clear-cut chances. Runcorn defended with determination and Ferriby could not find the decisive pass in the final third of the pitch.

Runcorn felt they should have had a penalty after 7minutes when Nathan Peat dispossessed Ross McDowell just inside the area but the referee waved play-on.

Ferriby responded with Danny Clarke’s shot being held by Adam Judge. The keeper then mishandled under pressure from Gregg Anderson and then came out of his area to head clear from Jamie Yates. Anthony Wilson saw a shot deflected wide and Anderson headed just over from a Yates’ cross.

At the other end, Matt Wilson dived to head a cross for a corner from which Michael Burke rose unchallenged to head across goal.

Ferriby dominated the second-half as they lifted their game. Runcorn found it hard to deal with Ferriby’s movement and passing and only some determined defending denied Ferriby on a number of occasions.

Anthony Wilson and Nathan Jarman both went close for Ferriby before Jarman finally opened the scoring after 59 minutes. Antony Wilson fed Yates on the left and his cross was headed home at the far post by Jarman.

The game was virtually sealed seven minutes later when Anderson headed a Yates free-kick to Jarman who volleyed home at the far post.

Judge did well to take the ball away from Anthony Wilson’s feet as the striker was about to go round him. Skipper Matt Wilson’s overhead-kick went straight to the keeper who was then relieved to see a Yates’ shot deflected wide.
Anthony Wilson went close three times in the final five minutes as Ferriby continued to look for a third goal.

Ferriby dominated the second-half to the extent that Runcorn had only two attempts on goal with Ross McDowell heading over and Gavin Salmon shooting straight at Adam Nicklin.

Ferriby Manager Billy Heath was delighted with the result, “We played patiently today and the goals finally came. Runcorn came at us and made it hard, especially in the first-half.  We raised the tempo in the second-half and played the game at a pace that suited us. We pressed higher up the pitch and made better use of the ball. As always, the first goal was the key and it seemed to finish them to some extent. It was another good all-round team performance. It’s good to be in Monday’s draw. Hopefully, it will be another home game but we will look forward to playing whoever we draw.”

NFU: Adam Nicklin, Dean Lisles (Paul Robson 45), Nathan Peat, Liam King, Matt Wilson, Gregg Anderson, Danny Clarke (Ben Hunter 63), Russell Fry (Jon D’Laryea 88),  Anthony Wilson, Nathan Jarman Jamie Yates
Subs not used: Ryan Kendall, Antoni Pecora

Runcorn Linnets: Adam Judge, Daniel Hand, Martin Crowder, Michael burke, Michael Duffy, Michael Ellison, Peter Doran (Gavin Salmon 77), Matt Cross, Ross McDowell (Christopher Lomax71), Mark Houghton, Matthew Atherton. Sub not used: Joseph Fielding 

Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors