NFU 2 Oxford City 1 (SN)

The Skrill North
Saturday 15 February 2014
North Ferriby United  2  Oxford City  1

 NFU: Liam King 55; Nathan Jarman 79
Oxford City: Darren Pond 59pen

A spirited Oxford City made Skrill North leaders North Ferriby work hard for this win. Most of the game was played in blustery conditions which often made life difficult for both sides.

The Villagers remain three points clear at the top of the table with AFC Telford leapfrogging Hednesford in to second place.

City keeper Mark Scott needed two attempts to save Nathan Jarman’s low free-kick in the fourth minute.  

Oxford responded with a Callum McNish header but had only one other serious goal attempt in the first-half from a Mike Symonds shot that was comfortably saved by Adam Nicklin.

Ferriby were the more threatening side throughout the game and went close three times in the first-half. A Russ Fry free-kick aimed at the far post was missed by Scott and slid past the post. Paul Robson saw a low twenty-yard drive parried by Scott and Anthony Wilson clipped the outside of the post after a neat inside pass from Jarman.
Oxford pressed at times but their attacks carried no real threat as Ferriby’s defence remained in control. 

The second-half followed a similar pattern but Ferriby now played some better football as they kept the ball down against the wind.

Nathan Peat’s low cross evaded everybody as it sped acroos the goal area a couple of yards short of the line. Scott did well to reach Jarman’s high cross fractionally ahead of Wilson. It took a superb one-handed save by Scott to prevent Wilson from scoring.   The opening goal came after 55 minutes when Nathan Peat’s left-wing cross found Liam king unmarked at the far post to head home from close range.

Oxford equalised four minutes later. Danny Hone was adjudged to have fouled McNish and Darren Pond hit the penalty just beyond Nicklin’s despairing dive. The goal lifted Oxford for a short time with Nicklin saving from Declan Benjamin and McNish.

Ferriby then re-asserted themselves with Scott saving Jarman’s dipping shot. Fry and Mark Gray both fired wide as Ferriby looked for the winner.  A Peat cross skipped across the six-yard box without anybody getting a much needed touch.
The Villagers deservedly  regained the lead after 79 minutes. The goal was similar to the first with Wilson providing the cross for Jarman’s close-range header.

City had a succession of corners as the game closed but Ferriby’s defence held firm to secure an important win.

Ferriby manager Billy Heath was delighted with the win, “We had to work hard but the players showed their determination and spirit and we certainly deserved to win. It’s important that we build on this at Workington on Tuesday.”

NFU: Adam Nicklin Paul Robson, Nathan Peat, Liam King (Jamie Yates 71), Mark Gray,  Danny Hone, Danny Clarke, Russ Fry, Anthony Wilson, Nathan Jarman, Jon D’Laryea. Subs not used: Ryan Kendall Antoni Pecora, Lewis McMahon, Matt Wilson

Oxford City: Mark Scott, Andy Ballard, Paul Stonehouse, Michael Pook, Adam Learoyd, Chris Willmott, Declan Benjamin (Mark Bell 81), Callum McNish (Jamie Cook 78), Mike Symonds (Steve Basham 65), Darren Pond, Tom Winters. Subs not used: Lee Henderson, Dan West,


Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors