NFU 2 Gloucester City 2 (VCN)

Vanarama Conference North

North Ferriby United 2   Gloucester City    2

Scorers: NFU: Nathan Jarman 19, Tom Denton 65
Gloucester City: Mark Preece 20; Adam Mann 33

This was a disappointing game with both sides struggling to find any rhythm or cohesion. Neither midfield was able to exert any real authority or control and goal threats were at a minimum throughout.

Gloucester started brightly winning three corners within a minute, almost scoring from one of them when Adam Nicklin tipped over Sam Avery’s header.

Ferriby struggled to find their rhythm as Gloucester harried them in midfield. The visitors looked the more threatening going forward but did not create any opportunities. Skipper BillyJones was prominent in many of their attacks with well-flighted free-kicks and corners.

 However, it was Ferriby who took the lead after 19 minutes when Nathan Jarman scored following a good move down the right involving Dean Lisle, Liam King and Danny Emerton.

Within a minute Gloucester were level with a goal that Ferriby will be disappointed with. Mark Preece was allowed to ghost-in at the far post to head home Billy Jones’ free-kick.

City took the lead after 33 minutes. Adam Mann latched on to Marc Richards’ through-ball to head home after his initial shot bounced up off Nicklin’s legs. Again, The Villagers will have been disappointed with the way they conceded.

Gregg Anderson was unlucky not to equalise with a drive that was superbly turned round by keeper Mike J Green at full-stretch. Dean Lisles and Matt Wilson both had good opportunities but their headers were off-target.

The second-half was equally disappointing but controversial. A challenge by Mark Preece resulted in a melee which ended with a flurry of yellow cards. Preece was, perhaps, unfortunate not to be sent-off.

There was virtually no goal-mouth excitement as quality football was at a premium.

Ferriby equalised in controversial fashion after 65 minutes. Jarman’s cross seemed to go well-out of play but the linesman kept down his flag and Tom Denton rose at the far post to head home.

Green clawed away a Jarman cross that was dropping-in at the far post. For their part, Gloucester fired two shots at Nicklin and saw a third deflected wide for a corner.

The controvers, however, was not over. Ferriby substitute Adam Bolder was sent-off in the 90th minute following a challenge on Adam Connolly. Even the Gloucester officials though it deserved no more than a yellow card.

Ferriby manager Billy Heath commented: “It was not a good performance today. We lacked any sort of control and conceded two poor goals. We created very little in the way of chances. In the end, we’re happy to have taken a point.”

Gloucester may feel they did enough to win but the draw was probably a fair result. This was certainly a lacklustre performance from Ferriby and nobody will be more disappointed than the players themselves.

NFU: Adam Nicklin, Dean Lisles, Nathan Peat, Liam King, Matt Wilson, Gregg Anderson, Danny Emerton, Jon D’Laryea (Adam Bolder 52)  Tom Denton, Nathan Jarman, Dan Clayton (Russ Fry 52), Subs not used: Antoni Pecora, Mark Gray, Josh Wilde

Gloucester City: Mike J Green,  Sam Avery, Billy Jones, Mark Preece, Matt Williams, Adam Connolly, Marc Richards, Chris Jones (Charlie Griffin 79),  Matt Groves,  Adam Mann, Mike F Green (Tom Webb 84)  Subs not used: Spencer Hamilton,  Elliott Chamberlain, Scott Wilson


Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors