NFU 2 FC Halifax Town 3

 North Ferriby United 2 FC Halifax Town 

Halifax were made to work hard for their win in an entertaining and competitive game. A stiff and swirling breeze sometimes created problems with high balls.

Ferriby started more brightly with Gary Bradshaw placing a header wide then seeing a free-kick deflected for a corner.

Halifax keeper Matty Glennon then made a diving save from Jack Muldoon after good work between Bradshaw and Ryan Kendall.

Despite the home side's pressure, it was Halifax who took the lead against the run of play after 25 minutes. Liam Needham's through-ball allowed Lee Gregory to race beyond Ferriby's defence to lob Ferriby goalkeeper Adam Nicklin.

The goal lifted Halifax and Gareth Seddon saw his free-kick deflected wide.

Gregory increased Town's lead in the 28th minute when he reacted first to a blocked shot to score from close range.

Ferriby lifted themselves and took the game to Halifax with Bradshaw seeing his chipped cross cleared for a corner.

Ferriby pulled a goal back after 33 minutes when Danny Clarke's pass split the Halifax defence allowing Bradshaw to slip the ball past Glennon.

Neither side seriously threatened again before half-time.

Ferriby started the second half well. Lee Hogan's back-pass under pressure was over-hit and the swirling wind had Glennon running back to stop the ball short of the line.

Glennon then saved from Clarke after Bradshaw's original shot had been blocked.

Halifax substitute Jamie Rainford thought he had scored after 54 minutes but his shot was well-saved by Nicklin diving low to his right..

Halifax then had probably their best spell of the game when Seddon's pass to Rainford saw the striker's shot turned for a corner by a diving Nicklin.

Gregory completed his hat-trick after 73 minutes. Ferriby's defence was again found wanting as the striker was allowed to get behind them before rounding Nicklin to slide the ball home.

Ferriby replied almost immediately. Russell Fry's free kick from the right touchline floated over the Halifax defence and Ferriby skipper Paul Foot ran in to place a stooping header past Glennon.

Ferriby finished the stronger and came close to equalising through a Gregg Anderson header which landed on top of the net.

Glennon was relieved in the final minute when an attempted clearance bounced off Ben Hunter into the keeper's arms.

A draw would probably have been a fair result in a game which left both managers ruing defensive lapses ahead of next week's opening league fixtures. 


NFU: Adam Nicklin, Steve Gardner, Steve Ridley (Dean Lisles 45 ), Liam King (Neil Stevens 80), Gregg Anderson, Paul Foot, Danny Clarke (Chris Hall 83), Russell Fry, Jack Muldoon, Gary Bradshaw (Lee Morris 74), Ryan Kendall (Ben Hunter 80) Non-playing subs: Antoni Pecora,  Timothy Taylor,  Mark Gray,

FC Halifax Town: Matty Glennon, Ryan Toulson, Jason St Juste, Jason Jarratt, Connor qualtar, Liam Hogan, Jon Worthington, Liam Needham (Jamie Rainford 45), Paul Marshall, Lee Gregory (Chris Worsley 74) Gareth Seddon (Osabi Obidaki  68)


Scorers: North Ferriby: Gary Bradshaw 33, Paul Foot 75
FC Halifax Town: Lee Gregory 25, 28, 73

Att: 187

Man of the match: Lee Gregory (FC Halifax Town)


Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors