NFU 2 Eastleigh 1 (NL)

Vanarama National League

14 April 2017


North Ferriby United       Eastleigh                            


Attendance:  364


Vanarama National League


report by Phil Withers

14 April 2017


North Ferriby United  2                      Eastleigh   1                         
 Robbie Tinkler 22                               Ross Stearn 77
Reece Thompson 88

Half time: NFU  1   Eastleigh  0

Attendance: 364

 Reece Thompson’s late goal kept alive Ferriby’s slim hopes of avoiding relegation on a nerve-jangling afternoon.

The win was no more than The Villagers deserved against a side that many thought would challenge for promotion this season.

Ferriby played the ball on the ground for much of the game and they looked effective going forward. Connor Oliver and Matty Dixon controlled midfield, especially in the first-half.

Ferriby started the game well and twice went close in the opening 15 minutes through Matty Dixon and Mark Gray.


However, it was Matt Tubbs who almost opened the scoring  for Eastleigh with a shot that went across the face of the goal.

Ferriby took the lead in the 22nd minute following a mix-up in the Eastleigh  defence between Gavin Hoyte and keeper Graham Stack that allowed Robbie Tinkler to prod the ball home.

Eastleigh probably should have equalised in an almighty goalmouth scramble which saw three shots blocked by Ferriby’s defenders. The way in which defenders put their bodies in the way of the ball typified the spirit the side showed all afternoon.

Both sides had half-chances befor e half-time but neither keeper was seriously threatened.

The second-half was more scrappy than the first. Consequently, there was little goalmouth action. The game was largely a midfield battle between Connor Oliver and Dixon for Ferriby and Sam Matthews and Sam Togwell for Eastleigh.

Eastleigh had most of the possession and territory but rarely threatened Ferriby keeper Owen Evans.


Ross Stearn stunned Ferriby after 77 minutes when his powerful low shot from the corner of the are nestled inside the far post. For many teams in Ferriby’s position that would have been it. However, that is not the way with this side. They could have crumbled but they showed their spirit and determination with some solid defending and good approach work in attack.


Their desire for all three points  culminated with the winning goal. Ryan Fallowfield’s pass found Sam Topliss whose cross was met by Thompson who controlled the ball before firing home. It was a goal worthy of winning any game.

Ferriby manager Steve Housham was delighted with his team’s victory,

“I thought our first half performance was our best of the season. It was great to see the players keep their heads up after the equaliser and get the winner.

“We didn’t want to get relegated in a home game and we are still fighting. It was a massive win against a side that really should be challenging for a top-five spot.

“We want to finish the season awith as many points as possible and as high up the table as we can manage.”


Everyone of the players can hold-up their heads after this performance. It was a solid all-round team performance and it showed just how good this team could become witha bit more experience.


North Ferriby United

Owen Evans, Sam Topliss,  Mark Gray,  Ben Middleton,  Taron Hare, Connor Oliver, Robbie Tinkler, Matty Dixon, Ryan Fallowfield, Danny Emerton,  Reece Thompson

Subs unused:  Jordan Cooke,  Jake Skelton, Kojo Kyei, George Bell, Tom Bolton


Eastleigh:  Graham Stack, Michael Green, Adam Dugdale, James Constable,  Matt  Tubbs (Scott Wilson 60),  Sam Matthews, Sam Togwell, Paul Reid, Craig McAllister (Ayo Obileye 81),, Gavin Hoyte, Hakeem Odoffin (Ross Stearn 60),

Substitutes not used: Jack Masterton, Ben Stevens


Our Sponsors