NFU 2 Boreham Wood 4 (NL)


Vanarama National League

8 April 2017

North Ferriby United  2
Robbie Tinkler 67; Reece Thompson 90+2

Boreham Wood 4
Morgan Ferrier 10; Mark Gray 28 own goal;
Bruno Andrade 68; Danny Emerton 81 own goal

Half time: NFU 0  BW 2

Attendance: 357

This was a massively disappointing performance from Ferriby following last Saturday’s excellent performance at Forest Green. Ferriby just did not look like the same team and lefy manager Steve Housham a very disappointed man,

“We did not match the standards we set at Forest Green last week. Too many players were off their game. You need to make things happen and we just did not do that.”

Ferriby started the game well and had the better of the opening ten minutes. However, they could not bring a save from Wood keeper Grant Smith.

Boreham Wood took the lead after10 minutes. A quick break saw Morgan Ferrier score with a powerful shot. From this point, Wood took control of the game. Ferrier and Bruno Andrade were a constant threat.


Boreham Wood were strong in the challenge and were quicker to the ball than Ferriby. They worked the ball down both wings and always looked dangerous.

The visitors doubled their lead after 28 minutes. It was, perhaps, deserved, but it had a tinge of luck with it all the same. Andrade fired-in a low cross and Ferriby defender Mark Gray was unable to get out of the way and deflected the ball in to his own goal.

Boreham Wood saw a couple of shots cleared off the line and probably should have been further ahead at the interval.

Ferriby keeper Owen Evans, making his home debut, did not really hav ea  shot to save but his handling of high balls was confident.

The Villagers had begun the half playing some good football on the ground but after the first goal they resorted to long and high balls. Wood’s back four was strong and this played to their strengths.

Wood controlled the second-half but it was Ferriby who scored first after 68 minutes. A scramble in the area saw Tinkler put in a shot that Smith appeared to have saved but the assistant referee flagged immediately for a goal.

It was a false dawn for Ferriby. Within 90 seconds Andrade finished off a move involving Femi Ilesanmi and Ricky Shakes. It was a big blow for Ferriby but they had paid the price for switching off after a scoring.

Boreham Wood were well in control now and basically played-out the game.
Their fourth goal was another own-goal, this time  from Danny Emerton who deflected a cross in to his own net at the far post.

Both the own goals could probably have been avoided as the crosses should not have got in. You cannot really blame Gray or Emerton who saw the ball extremely late on each occasion. As Housham pointed out,

 “Their crossing quality was good while ours was poor and that made a massive difference.”

Late consolation for Ferriby  came with the best goal of the game.  Tinkler fed Kojo Keyi who found Reece Thompson who scored on the turn. This was the striker’s 10th goal of the season. Housham commented,

“This was probably the only bright spot of the game and it’s great for Reece to have scored 10 goals at this level.

“We are still not down but it is obviously going to be difficult to stay up now. However, despite the results, we will continue to enjoy the ride.

“We’ve got two home games left and it would be nice to turn it on in those games for our supporters who have been tremendous all season”

NFU: Owen Evans,  Sam Topliss, Mark Gray, Ben Middleton, Taron Hare, Robbie Tinkler , Matty Dixon (Matty Templeton, 73,  Kojo Kyei 83). Ryan Fallowfield (Sam Cosgrove,  61),, Connor Oliver, Reece Thompson Danny Emerton  

Subs not used: George Bell, Jordan Cooke

Boreham Wood: Grant Smith, Danny Woodards, Mark Ricketts (Kenny Davies  85), Matt Paine, David Stephens, Ricky Shakes, Bruno Andrade, Morgan Ferrier (Tom Hitchcock 87, Femi Ilsanmi, Angelo Balanta (Jai Reason 79), Joe Devera. Subs not used: Jason Williams, Montel Joseph


Our Sponsors