NFU 2 Barrow AFC 2 (VCN)

Vanarama Conference North
Saturday 20 September 2014

North Ferriby United  2  Barrow AFC 2   (HT: NFU 1    BAFC 1  )

Scorers: NFU: Nathan Jarman 35pen; Danny Emerton 51
              Barrow AFC: Izak Reid 28; Simon Grand 80

A draw was probably a fair result in an entertaining in which Ferriby had the greater possession but Barrow the best chances.
Ferriby almost took the lead in the first minute but Danny Hone’ header was finger-tipped round by Barrow keeper  Tony McMillan.  

Barrow thought they had taken the lead after 9 minutes but Jason Walker’s header was disallowed for off-side.

Tom Denton’s downward header bounced up and went over the bar. McMillan  then did well to turn round Dan Clayton’s low curling drive. The keeper also saved well from Liam King and the follow-up shot from Danny Emerton was blocked.

After 28 minutes Barrow broke quickly from a controversial free-kick award and Izak Reid scored with a powerful angled shot from the right. Three minutes later Walker should have made it two but Louis Bruce made a great last-ditch tackle.

The lead lasted seven minutes. Russ Fry was fouled in the area by Niall Cowperthwaite and Nathan Jarman coolly dispatched the penalty to Tony McMillan’s left.

Reid then missed a good chance from 10 yards before Sam Sheridan hit a shot at Adam Nicklin following another quick break.

The second-half was end-to-end but clear-cut chances were limited.

Ferriby took the lead after 51 minutes. McMillan saved well from Tom Denton but could not prevent Emerton tapping-home from close-range.

Reid saw Nicklin turn a shot round the post as Barrow began to press. Danny Livesey and Simon Grand both put chances over the bar for Barrow before Nicklin produced a good one-handed save from Andy Cook’s goal-bound shot. From the resulting corner, Nicklin appeared to be held by an attacker as he went for the cross. This allowed Grand to score with a free-header at the far post.

Both teams pressed forward for a winning goal but could create no significant opportunities. In the end, both sides will have been satisfied with appoint in a game they both feel they could have won.

Ferriby manager Billy Heath commented, “The first 30 minutes was the best we have played all season and we continued to play good football all through the game. The players showed tremendous spirit to take the lead after going behind. It was disappointing to concede goals following contentious refereeing decisions but in the end it was a good point.”

The game was a credit to both sides. It was played in a constant drizzle which made the surface difficult.  The the game was a credit to both sets of players. Not only was there some skilful football, the game was played in a good spirit with virtually no dissent, no attempts to get players cautioned and no diving.

NFU: Adam Nicklin, Louis Bruce, Josh Wilde, Liam King, Gregg Anderson, Danny Hone, Danny Emerton (Jon D’Laryea 71), Russell Fry, Tom Denton, Nathan Jarman  (Adam Bolder 79) Dan Clayton,
Subs not used: Nathan Peat, Tom Nicholson, Mark Gray

Barrow: Tony McMillan, Andy Burns Ted Cribley (90+6), Niall Cowperthwaite, Paddy Lacey,  Danny Livesey, Simon Grand, Izak Reid, Sam Sheridan,  Jason  Walker (Alex Ray-Harvey 84), Andy Cook, Dan Pilkington (James Ellison (69) . Subs not used: Liam Willis, Jamie Crowther




Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors