NFU 2 Barrow 2 (SN)

The Skrill North
Saturday 9 November 2013
Report by Phil Withers

North Ferriby United  2   Barrow AFC  2
Scorers: NFU: Anthony Wilson 2, Ryan Kendall 78
Barrow: Nick Rushton 17; Gareth Arnison 87

Ferriby were held to a draw by a Barrow side that played most of the game with 10 men after Sam Sheridan was sent-off for foul and  abusive language towards the referee after 21 minutes.

The Villagers got off to a flying start with the Anthony Wilson heading home Matt Wilson’s cross after just two minutes.

Anthony Wilson’s low cross,cum-shot was cleared off the line by Andy Burns. Barrow keeper McMillan spilled a Jamie Yates but managed to block Ryan Kendall’s follow-up shot.

Ferriby continued to miss chances in front of goal and eventually paid the price after 17 minutes. Marcus Carver fed Nick Rushton and his shot was deflected past Adam Nicklin.

Following Sheridan’s dismissal Ferriby dominated the rest of the half. The Villagers continued to squander opportunities as the half progressed.

Anthony Wilson came close to a second goal but his stooping header went narrowly wide. Liam King was unfortunate to see his chip shot drop on to the top of the net with McMillan beaten.

Anthony Wilson was a constant threat to Barrow with his control and movement. For barrow, Marcus Carver played a lonely role on his own up-front but was a danger when he had possession.

Barrow’s best chance came when Nicky walker broke quickly from defence and fed Alex Ray-Harvey whose shot was deflected by Danny Hone

The second-half was again dominated by Ferriby but they continued to show their usual steadiness in front of goal. Even so, Barrow were grateful to keeper McMillan who made four good saves in quick succession. He tipped over Nathan peat’s 25-yard drive, went full length to save a Hone header, blocked another Peat drive then somehow parried another Hone header off-the line.

Ferriby took the lead for the second time after 78 minutes when Kendall beat the back four to fire low past McMillan.

Barrow battled well to deny Ferriby time and space and substitute Gareth Arnison equalised after 87 minutes when he got a touch on Paul Edwards’ free-kick after some indecisive defending. 

The game finished with Hone being sent-off deep in to added time for a second yellow card.

Ferriby really should have won this game but  a string of missed chances and a good performance by McMillan denied the. Credit to Barrow for some determined defending. They constantly harried Ferriby in midfield and made life hard for The Villagers.

Ferriby Manager Billy Heath commented, ”We had more than enough chances to win the game and paid the price for not taking them. The way in which we conceded the two goals was disappointing. We really should should have been able to win the game with only three minutes against 10 men.”
NFU: Adam Nicklin, Paul Robson, Nathan Peat, Liam King, Matt Wilson, Danny Hone, Danny Clarke (Nathan Jarman 52),  Russell Fry, Anthony Wilson, Ryan Kendall, (Gregg Anderson 90+5) Jamie Yates
Subs not used: Jon D’Laryea,  Antoni Pecora, Ben Hunter ,

Barrow: Tony McMillan, Andy Burns, Paul Edwards, Sam Sheridan, Dan Preston,  Duran Reynolds,  Nick Rushton (Jamie Allen 77), Richard Davies (Gareth Arnison 83), Marcus Carver, Alex Ray-Harvey, Nicky Walker )Paddy Lacey 58), Subs not used: Dan Parkinson, Craig Radcliffe


Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors