NFU 2 Altrincham 1 (SN)

The Skrill North
Saturday 21 September 2013

North Ferriby United   2  Altrincham 1
Scorers: NFU: Nathan Jarman 29, 49
Altrincham: Jamies Walshaw 77

Ferriby maintained their 100% home record and inflicted Altrincham’s first league defeat of the season.  The win takes Ferriby up to third place in the Skrill North as The Villagers maintain their impressive start to the season.

Altrincham had the better of the very early exchanges. Kyle Perry deflected a header to home keeper Adam Nicklin then shot over the bar. Jake Moult almost gave Altrincham the lead but his shot bounced back off the bar.
In-between these efforts Danny Clarke saw his header from 18-yards go straight  to visiting keeper Stuart Coburn.

 The Villagers gradually began to take a degree of control as the half progressed but, even, so Coburn was not really threatened. He did well to take two Jamie Yates’ crosses under pressure from Nathan Jarman and Clarke.

At the other end Adam Nicklin twice headed away from the edge of his area as long balls were hit through to Damian Reeves and Kyle Perry.

Jarman gave the home side the lead after 29 minutes when he placed the ball beyond Stuart Coburn from 15 yards following good work by Ryan Kendall  and Liam King. Jarman almost scored again five minutes later but his looping header from Paul Robson’s cross went just over the bar.

Another good move ended with Yates again feeding Jarman but the striker’s shot went wide.

In all honesty, the first-half was rather scrappy with neither keeper having to make a save but Ferriby were the better team and deserved their lead.

Ferriby opened the second-half in blistering fashion with Jarman doubling the lead on 49 minutes. Once again, good work by King and Kendall provided Jarman with the opportunity to fire past Coburn from 18-yards.

Ferriby exerted their authority on the game after this and closed-down Altrincham in midfield. Both sides were hitting long balls and chances were few and far between. The Villagers’ defence was magnificent in dealing with Altrincham’s long balls and crosses.

Reeves wasted a good opportunity after 64 minutes but credit should perhaps be given to Gregg Anderson and Nicklin for thwarting him.

Russell Fry almost made it three after 75 minutes but his 22-yard free-kick curled just wide.

Altrincham managed to pull a goal back after 77 minutes. Shaun Densnore’s cross was headed on by Luca Havern to Walshaw who scored from close-range. The goal was somewhat against the run of play and it boosted Altrincham’s spirits. Even so, Ferriby denied them space and opportunities.

Ferrriby closed-out the game for a deserved win in what was an entertaining, if rather scrappy, game.

This was another fine all-round team performance by Ferriby. Manager Billy Heath was delighted, “It was a bit scrappy today but we battled well and the defence was outstanding. We could have won a bit more comfortably but at the end of the day we got the three points we thoroughly deserved.”

NFU: Adam Nicklin, Paul Robson, Nathan Peat, Liam King, Matt Wilson, Gregg Anderson, Danny Clarke, Russell Fry, Ryan Kendall, Nathan Jarman Jamie Yates (Jon D’Laryea 81)
Subs not used: Sam Belcher, Antoni Pecora, (Dean Lisles 70),  Ben Hunter

Altrincham: Stuart Coburn, Shaun Densmore (c), Matt Doughty (James Lawrie 69), Carl Rodgers, Gianluca Havern, Scott Leather, Simon Richman, Jake Moult, Kyle Perry, Damian Reeves (James Walshaw 75), Nicky Clee, Subs not used: Brian Smikle, Robert Gilroy, Adam Reid

Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors