NFU 2 AFC Telford United 2 (SN)

Skrill North
Saturday 25 January 2014

 North Ferriby United  AFC Telford Utd
Scorers: NFU: Ryan Kendall 17,18
AFC Telford: Simon Grand 3; Adam Farrell 32

A draw was a fair result in this hard-fought and entertaining game between the third and first placed clubs. The result probably pleased Ferriby more than Telford as The Villagers remain seven points of The Bucks.

Ferriby’s lead at the top has been reduced to one point but they have a game in hand over second-placed Hednesford.

Fortunately, the torrential that arrived before the game finished shortly before kick-off which just left a strong wind for the teams to contend with.

Ferriby almost took the lead in the first minute. Jamie Yates’ cross found Ryan Kendall but his header was cleared off the line with the keeper Ryan Young beaten.

Telford’s response was quick. Shaun Whalley’s corner reached Simon Grand who fired home through a crowd of players after three minutes.
Yates was then beaten to the ball by keeper Ryan Young following Anthony Wilson’s astute pass.

Although the game was end-to-end, there was little goalmouth action until Ryan Kendall scored twice in a minute. The first after 17 minutes saw him in space to head home a fine Nathan Peat cross and he repeated the feat a minute later after Danny Clarke’s pin-point cross from the right.

 Ferriby were having the better of the game at this point and Clark, Jon d’Laryea and Anthony Wilson all went close. However, it was the visitors who scored next. The ball reached Adam Farrell and after being forced away from goal he somehow managed to turn and fire in a low angled shot for the equaliser.

 The goal re-vitalised Telford but neither side seriously threatened as the half closed.

The second-half was less frenetic with few close attempts on goal. The opening minutes saw Farrell have two shots blocked and Whalley, who was instrumental in a lot of Telford’s attacks shot at Adam Nicklin.

King, Kendall and Anthony Wilson had shots blocked as Ferriby pressed forward before Telford exerted some pressure.

Whalley’s low shot was saved by Nicklin and in the 70th minute there was an almighty scramble on the Ferriby goal-line before the ball was cleared with Telford appealing for a goal. The officials were well-positioned and ignored the claims.

Gregg Anderson could not quite get on the end of a Robson at the far post. This was Anderson’s last game before surgery on a damaged shoulder.

Whalley wasted a good chance for Telford when he fired wide then Anthony Wilson shot wide from 18 yards after creating space for the shot.

Ferriby almost clinched all three points with the last attack of the game. However, Young made an incredible double save from Nathan Jarman.

Manager Billy Heath commented, “It was a fair result. We scored two really good goals and could probably have defended better against the two we concede. We are still top of the league and in a good position. There is still a lot of football to be played but the players work hard and have a collective spirit that serves us well.”

NFU: Adam Nicklin, Paul Robson, Nathan Peat, Liam King (Russ Fry 73), Matt Wilson, Gregg Anderson, Danny Clarke, Jon D’Laryea, Anthony Wilson, Ryan Kendall (Nathan Jarman 75), Jamie Yates
Subs not used: Antoni Pecora, Dan Clayton, Louis Bruce

AFC Telford United: Ryan Young, Wes Baynes, Matty McGinn, Neill Byrne, Simon Grand, Mike Grogan, Shaun Whalley (Andy Owens 85), Charlie Barnett, Adam Farrell, Tony Gray (Mike Phenix 79), Sean Clancy
Subs not used: Dan Preston, Andy Pryce, Russell Benjamin, 

Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors