NFU 1 Scarborough Athletic 3 (Evostik Prem 18-19)

 Evostik Northern Premier League
Premier Division

Saturday 22  September 2018

North Ferriby United 1    Scarborough Athletic  3  
Jordan Harrison 54           Michael Coulson 69;
                                                James Walshaw 82, 87

This was a game of “déjà vu” for Ferriby and Scarborough fans as it was very similar to the game at Scarbotough at the beginning of the month.

As in the first game, a fairly even first-half was followed by a second-half controlled by Scarborough.

Neither side could gain control for any length of time in an end-to-end first-half. Both midfields worked hard to send their sides forward but clear opportunities were few.

Wayne Brooksby ought to have put Scarborough ahead but fired a good chance wide. After eight minutes.

Ferriby responded with a Dan Norton shot that flew just wide and  aLuke Lofts effort that was deflected for  a corner.

A Jamie Forrester corner finally reached James Piercy who saw his shot cleared off the line by by Ross Killock. Jack Mail headed narrowly wide and Jordan Harrison saw Taylor block a shot.

A good five minute Ferriby saw Ferriby go close on three occasions. James Piercy’s shot was cleared off the line by Ross Killock.  In a good spell for Ferriby, Jack Mail headed narrowly over and Jordan Harrison saw keeper Thomas Taylor parry a shot for a corner.

In reply, Ferriby keeper Lewis Exall produced two blocks to deny Michael Coulson and Jamie Walshaw.

Both midfields worked hard with Luke Lofts and Jamie Forrester impressing for Ferriby and Nathan Valentine and Dave Merris, given too much space on the left, for Scarborough.

Scarborough controlled the second-half from start to finish but actually went a goal behind. Jordan Harrison latched on to a long ball and poked home past the advancing Thomas Taylor.

They had struggled somewhat until the introduction of substitute James Cadman midway through the second-half. In the end, this was a deserved win for Scarborough.

Cadman soon made his presence known when his cross from the right was headed home at the far post by Michael  Coulson.

 It took two goals in the 82nd and 87th minute to win the game for Scarborough. Walshaw obliged on both occasions, first a simple close-range tap-in and second, a neat lob over the advancing Exall.          

This was, for much of the game, a good performance by Ferriby. Harrison was impressive throughout, both for his work up-front and his willingness to get back and defend.

Manager Chris Bolder was reasonably happy,

“Once again, we’ve shown we can compete with the better clubs in the division. It may take us to Christmas to really develop in the  way that we want. We’ve had a tough start to the season when you look at the sides we have already played but the players are learning and improving.”

NFU: Lewis Exall,  Ben Clappison, James Williamson,  Jamie Forrester , Jack Mail, James Piercey,  Ben Leyland (Alex Knox 86), Eddie Rogerson,  Jordan Harrison (Paul Robson 86), Luke Lofts , Dan Norton, Subs not used :  Joe Lamplough, Charlie Dunkerley, Kent Bannister

Scarborough Athletic: Tommy Taylor, Josh Lacey, Dave Merris, Luke Dean  (Will Annan 89)  , Ross Killock, Bailey Gooda, Nathan Valentine (James Cadman 66), Matthew Dixon, James Walshaw, Michael Coulson, Wayne Brooksby (Jackson Jowett 90+1)

Our Sponsors