NFU 1 Macclesfield Town 4 (FAC 4Q)

North Ferriby United  1
Vinny Mukendi 1 (45 seconds)


Macclesfield Town  4
Danny Whittaker 43, 75pen
Chris Holroyd 55
Jack Mackreth 69

Half time: 1-1


Attendance:  395


Ferriby got off to a great start with a goal from Vinny Mukendi after just 45 seconds. It was just the start that they would have wanted but they were unable to capitalise.


As a disappointed Ferriby manager Steve Housham commented,

We played well for the first forty-five seconds. We haven’t scored for so long and we didn’t seem to know what to after we did take the lead. After that it was a shambolic performance. We had no shape or control and paid the price.”


The Villagers did actually have the better of the next ten minutes without threatening a second goal.
It took Macclesfield those ten minutes to play themselves in to the game and from then on they looked threatening almost every time they attacked.


Rory Watson made a flying one-handed save to deny Paul Lewis a goal. The Silkmen thought they had equalised after 20 minutes but George Pilkington’s effort was disallowed for off-side.

Watson did well to block a Chris Holroyd shot before diving to save at the feet of Lewis.

The game was not all one way but Ferriby could not create any chances.  The Villagers were out-numbered and over-run in midfield and made things worse by giving the ball away too often. This meant there was little creativity going forward and the defence was constantly under pressure as Macclesfield attacked at every opportunity.

Danny Whittaker and Jack Mackreth were given far too much space in the middle of the field and they were able to take advantage of it. Chris Holroyd and Jack Sampson always looked dangerous up front.


Despite their control, it was the 43rd minute before Macclesfield deservedly equalised. Mackreth’s free-kick reached Whittaker who hammered home a low cross-shot.

Ferriby, could, and perhaps should, have re-gained the lead after 48 minutes. Kyle Wootton had a great chance from Steve Brogan’s free-kick but he put his header wide. That was the last attempt that Ferriby had on goal until added time when Ryan Kendall hit a tame shot straight to Town keeper Craig Ross.

Following Wootton’s attempt, Macclesfield were dominant. Holroyd wormed his way past a number of defenders without anybody making a challenge to score after 55 minutes.


Watson saved from Lewis and Brogan deflected a Whittaker shot for a corner.

The game was sealed on 69 minutes when Holroyd and Whittaker combined for Mackreth to blast home. Whittaker’s penalty after 75 minutes was the icing on the cake for Macclesfield.

Macclesfield went close on another couple of occasions but it was all academic. This was probably the side’s worst performance of the season.
A disappointed-looking Housham commented further,

“We had no heart or desire today. We had no leaders on the pitch. We conceded poor goals and gave the ball away too easily.

“The performance was worrying . We may need to look at adding to the squad. I knew it would be a difficult season when I came and Darryn [Stamp] and myself will just battle on.

“Today was a great opportunity for the players to reach the First round of the FA Cup and they’ve just thrown it  away.”

NFU: Rory Watson; Taron Hare, Mark Gray, Jake Skelton,  Steve Brogan, Taron Hare, Connor Oliver (Danny Emerton  61)  , Simon Russell , Danny Clarke,  Reece Thompson (Ryan Fallowfield 82), Vinny Mukendi (Ryan Kendall 66), Kyle Wootton

Subs not used:  Alfons Fosu-Mensa, Ross Armstrong, Sam Topliss,  Darryn Stamp

Macclesfield Town: Craig Ross, Andy Halls, David Fitzpatrick, George Pilkington, John McCombe, JackMackreth, Paul Lewis, Chris Holroyd, Jack Sampson Kingsley James (John Roberts77), Danny Whitaker  (Chris Sutherland 79)

Subs not used: Ritchie Branagan, Neill Byrne, Mitch Hancox


Our Sponsors