NFU 1 Kidderminster H 3 (NLN 17-18)

Saturday 21 April 2018

 Vanarama National League North

North Ferriby United    1        Kidderminster Harriers    3                     
Jack Mail 76                                George Waring 18: Joe Ironside 25; Lee Vaughan 62

This was not as one-side a game as the score may suggest. Ferriby generally acquitted themselves well.

Kidderminster deserved this win but they were made to work hard by Ferriby, especially in the second-half.

Harriers often played a long-ball game as Ferriby put them under pressure for periods of the game. Their staff admitted after the game that they had had to adapt their planned tactics because of the way The Villagers performed.

Ferriby could have taken the lead in the first minute. Jamie Forrester beautifully flighted cross evade both Bobby Johnson and James Piercey close to goal.

At times, Kidderminster were quite content to play the ball back to keeper Nathan Vaughan to relieve the pressure. Vaughan’s distribution then started attacks for the visitors.

Harriers took the lead after 18 minutes in what was their first serious attempt on goal.. James McQualkin’s corner was headed on by Jimmy O’Connor and George Waring had a simple tap-in at the far post. It was a disappointing way for Ferriby to conced as the goal should have been prevented.

The visitors had the greater possession but they created little in the way of clear scoring opportunities. They were quick on the counter-attack without creating too many real chances. Harriers’ front three of Waring, Ironside and  Andre Brown were a constant threat with their pace and movement.

The second goal saw an unmarked Joe Ironside head in Lee Vaughan’s corner at the far-post. After 25 minutes. Like the first goal, this one could also have been prevented with more attentive defending.

Ferriby drewkeeper  Nathan Vaughan in to one save but rarely looked like scoring. James Nichols worked hard up-front but was rather isolated. The Villagers’ midfield worked hard but could make little impression on the Harriers’ defence.

The second=half started well for Ferriby. Perhaps to many people’s surprise, they took the game to Kidderminster for the first 15 minutes .

Ben Clappison saw keeper Vaughan block the ball on the line before  a corner was then  scrambled clear.

Jordan Harrison then saw a shot defelected for a corner before  Ferriby were stunned by a third goal from Kidderminster.

Against the run of play, Lee Vaughan put the match beyond Ferriby’s after 62  minutes. He hammered home a low unstoppable shot for the third goal from the corner of the penalty area. Once again, it was preventable as he was left unmarked, not that that detracts from the quality of his finish.

Kidderminster then raised their game again without any real goal threat.

It was Ferriby who scored next. Forrester’s corner was headed on by Jordan Cooke and Jack Mail headed home. It was a fair reward for The Villagers.

Booby Johnson drew a low diving save from Vaughan but it was Lofts who was the most unlucky.His 20-yard shot  after 85 minutes hit the bar. Had that gone in, it would have made an interesting end to the game,

Manager Chris Bolder was disappointed at teh end but not too downhearted,

“I thought we were absolutely tremendous in the second-half. It looked like we were the team desperate for the points.

“We certainly pushed them back in the second-half. Until the last three or four minutes they only had one shot.             

“We had a lot of pressure in the first 16 minutes of the second-half. We got a number of corners and had shots blocked. If we could have got a goal  it would have been very interesting.

“Credit to our lads. We conceded a sloppy third goal. Our heads could have gone but the lads picked themselves and we got a goal back..Luke Lofts had a tremendous shot against the bar after that.
We had them rocking at times, there is no doubt about that. 

“ The difference at this level is the fine margin between scoring and conceding a goal. For 98 per cent of the game we defended well but our errors got punished. That’s what happens at this leve

“We kept our shape well and forced them to playing long balls. That is an effective tool but they generally play good football.

“The players were playing with self-belief and with some confidence. We were competitive for large parts of the game. That is what we expect and the players have responded over the last few months.

It’s about moving forward and we know we are making progress. It’s about looking forward to next season. We have two more games to see palyers in action and we will utilise the squad as we finish with two games in 48 hours at the end of the week.”

NFU:  Ross Durrant, Jordon Cooke, Jack Walters, Paul Robson  (Ben Clappison 6),  James Piercey,  Jack Mail,  Jordan Harrison (Jack Smith 70), Jamie Forrester, James Nichols (Josh Walker 60),  Bobby Johnson, Luke Lofts  Substitutes not used: Lewis Exall, Charlie Dunkerley

 Kidderminster Harriers: Nathan Vaughan, Lee Vaughan, Joel Taylor,  Ryan Croasdale (Sam Austin  68)(Fraser Horsfall ( Kennedy Digie 28), Jimmy O’Connor (Liam Truslove 70), Declan Weeks, James McQuilkin, Joe Ironside, George Waring, Andre Brown

Subs not used:  Elton Ngwatala, Emmanuel Sonupe 

Attendance:  331

Our Sponsors