NFU 1 Bromley 2 (NL)

North Ferriby United  1
Reece Thompson 52

Bromley  2
George Porter 57, Blair Turgott 89

Half time: 0-0 


Bromley finally ran out winners in an entertaining game but even they will admit it was a game that they could just as easily have lost.

Ferriby had the better of the first-half and had the better chances. Bromley looked threatening on the break but struggled to create clear chances..

Reece Thompson proved a handful to the Bromley defence throughout the game, as did the visitor’s Blair Turgott to Ferriby’s defence.

Ferriby played a high-line pressing game from the start and this disrupted Bromley’s midfield  and put their defence under pressure.

Ferriby had an early penalty claim turned down. Thompson was barged in the back by a defender but the referee did not view it as a foul.

Kyle Wootton pulled a shot wide when well-place as Ferriby pressed forward.

Thompson had two chances to open the scoring in the 13th minute..First, he pulled a shot wide  He pulled a shot wide  before finding himself in a one-on-one with  Bromley keeper Alan Julian who spread himself wide to block the shot. Julian thwarted Thompson, again shortly afterwards.

Steve Brogan almost scored when his cross hit the top of the bar with everybody expecting it to fly comfortable over. That is the sort of luck that is not going The villagers way this season.

Bromley were largely left to shoot from distance and rarely seriously troubled home keeper Rory Watson. Dave Martin went closest for Bromley with a powerful shot that was fumbled by Watson before being cleared.

The second-half saw more action with Bromley starting brightly and Bradley Goldberg went close twice.

Ferriby went ahead after 52 minutes. Ryan Fallowfield fed Kyle Wootton whose shot was parried to Thompson who kept his composure to score from close range. It was the team’s first goal in eight league games.

Surprisingly, Ferriby stopped pressing and sitting-back allowed Bromley a quick equaliser. This proved costly. Substitute George Porter had just come on and he was given too much space on the right before cutting-in to slide the ball past Watson after 57 minutes..

Ferriby manager Steve Housham commented,
“We lost our composure for a while after going in front and that led to their equaliser. We sat back instead of continuing to press forward. This gave them too much space. It is something the players have to learn from.”

Both sides had periods of pressure as the half continued with shots being blocked and deflected at both ends. Despite all the attacking efforts, Watson and Julian each had only one difficult save to make.

There was some determined, strong but fair tackling from both sets of defenders.

With Bradley Goldberg and Turgott prompting Bromley forward, they had the better of the final 20 minutes.

The winning goal came in the 89th minute. Turgott turned his marker to shoot under Watson’s body.
The result was harsh on Ferriby.

Housham commented further,

“That was at least one point, and probably all three, thrown away. I can’t really ask anymore of my players. It was another good performance and yet another late goal and defeat. We had enough chances to have won.”

NFU:  Rory Watson ; Sam Topliss , Taron Hare, Ben Middleton, Jake Skelton, Steve Brogan , Ryan Fallowfield , (Danny Emerton  64)   Danny Clarke, Simon Russell , Reece Thompson  (Ryan Kendall 87), Kyle Wootton  (Vinny Mukendi 76)
Subs not used: Ross Armstrong, Mark Gray

Bromley: Alan Julian, Joe Howe, Rob Swaine, Jack Holland, Dave Martin,  (Jordan Higgs 56), Lee Minshull  (Tobu Sho-Silva  71), Connor Dymond , Joe Anderson ,  Blair Turgott, Bradley Goldberg , James Philpott 6 (George Porter 56. 6),
Subs not used: Reece Prestedge, Daniel Ajakaiye,



Our Sponsors