NFU 1 Boston United 1 (FAT 1)

FA Trophy First Round Proper

North Ferriby United  1  Boston United 1

Scorers: NFU: Ryan Kendall 89
Boston United: Marc Newsham 67

Ferriby were relieved at the end to earn a replay in a game that really deserved to win. The Villagers had the greater possession and territorial advantage but played the final 15 minutes with 10-men following a red card for Danny Hone.

A competitive first-half ended goal-less with clear opportunities scarce at both ends. Ferriby had the greater possession and came closest to scoring. Boston seemed quite content to sit back and hit Ferriby on the break.

In the first seven minutes Adam Bolder had a shot blocked and from a Jamie Yates’ free-kick the ball was cleared off the Boston goal-line.

Boston keeper Joel Dixon did well to beat Nathan Jarman to the ball following Tom Denton’s flick-on. Boston’s first threat on goal was a weak shot from mark Jones that went straight to Adam Nicklin.

Ferriby continued but the closest either side came to a goal was a Liam King shot was deflected by a Boston defender on to the post.

Boston only once more before half-time with Jones having a shot blocked by Hone.

Boston upped their tempo at the beginning of the second-half. From Greg Tempest’s corner, Marc Newsham had a shot blocked on the line.

Ferriby then began to gain more possession and territory.  Jarman fired a shot at keeper Dixon then Jamie Yates was unlucky to see a 20-yard free-kick rebound off the bar with Dixon well-beaten.

Despite Ferriby’s pressure, it was Boston who took the lead. Jones disposed Yates and his cross was headed home at the far post  by Newsham after 67 minutes.

Boston should have sealed a win 10 minutes later. Jones got in front of Hone and the defender’s  his challenge saw him sent-off for denying a goal-scoring opportunity. However, Scott Garner’s low penalty brought a superb one-handed save by Nicklin who somehow managed to turn the ball on to the bar.

Ferriby continued to press and substitute Ryan Kendall deservedly equalised after 89 minutes. King’s cross reached Kendall who scored with a low shot on the turn.

The equaliser was the very least that Ferriby deserved.

Ferriby manager Billy heath commented, “I really think we did enough to win the game. We controlled much of the game and had the better chances. Credit to the players for coming back from a goal down and playing the final 15 minutes with only 10 players. It was a tremendous performance.”

NFU: Adam Nicklin, Jamie Yates; Josh Wilde,  Liam King, Mark Gray, Danny Hone, Adam Bolder (Ryan Kendall 75), Jon D’Laryea (Gregg Anderson 79), Tom Denton, Nathan Jarman, Jason St Juste (Russelll Fry 79) Subs not used: Tom Nicholson Nathan Peat,

Boston United: Joel Dixon, Zak Mills, Rene Steer, Kyle Dixon, Scott Garner, Carl Piergianni, Liam Marrs, Greg Tempest (Michael Hollingsworth 80), Marc Newsham (Jamie McGhee 83), Mark Jones, Kaine Felix. Subs not used: Sam Vince, David Fallah, Olly Price


Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors