NFU 1(4p) Bath City 1 (2p) (FAT SF 2L)

FA Trophy sponsored by Carlsberg
Semi-final Second Leg

North Ferriby United 1  Bath City  1                                                Attendance: 1871
After extra time. Ferriby win 4-2 on penalties

Scorers: NFU: Liam King 64p
Bath: Nick McCootie 2

There were tumultuous scenes at a packed Eon Visual Media Stadium as Ferriby claimed a deserved place at Wembley after a dramatic penalty shoot-out. The Villagers will play Wrexham on 29 March.


Manager Billy Heath was absolutely delighted after the game, “This was a great result for everybody connected with the club, This really is a special place and today is a reward for the players, the Chairman, Committee, fans and everybody else.

“Over the two games we deserved the win but it’s not really sunk in yet. We never do things the easy way as a team and we gave ourselves a bit of a mountain to climb by conceding early.

“We took charge of game after first 15 minutes. Their keeper pulled off some good saves but the players didn’t let it dishearten them.

After Russ’s dismissal they did not look as if they actually had an extra man and that is a credit to the players.”

A tense and exciting game went in which both teams gave their all ended with The Villagers earning an FA Trophy Final place against Wrexham on Sunday 29th March.

Over the two semi-final games there is no doubt that Ferriby deserved to reach the Final but they certainly did it the hard way. Bath went ahead after just 90 seconds. With Russ Fry being sent-off for a second yellow card during extra-time The Villagers had to dig deep.

Ferriby were rocked by a Nick McCootie’s early goal. A cross from Sekani Simpson saw McCootie unmarked and he put a powerful header beyond Adam Nicklin.

Ferriby thought they had equalised after four minutes but Tm Denton’s downward header was well-saved by Bath keeper Jason Mellor.

The opening 10 minutes were fast and furious with strong challenges in midfield by both sides.

Ferriby began to take control and really looked like they would be the only side to score. Had it not been for Mellor The Villagers could have been 3-1 up by half time.

Mellor saved a Ryan Kendall header before making a good double save from the striker shortly on 39 minutes.

Mellor was beaten on half time but Tom Denton’s bounced back off the post.

Whilst Bath did attack regularly they carried no real goal-scoring threat though McCootie and Dave Pratt worked hard up front.

Ferriby had the upper hand during the second-half but, once again, were struggling to find the net.

A Denton header went straight to Mellor who then did well to punch away a corner under pressure

As Ferriby increased the pressure, Bath were often having to defend desperately. Josh Wilde had a shot blocked and a Danny Clarke shot was deflected for a corner.

The equaliser came after 64 minutes. Denton was held in the area by Phil Walsh and the referee awarded a penalty. Captain Liam King took the responsibility and sent Mellor the wrong way from the spot to bring the scores level.

This caused Ferriby to raise the tempo further. A King shot was deflected off a defender and Mellor did extremely well to turn the ball over the bar.

Clarke was unlucky six minutes from time when his shot hit a defender on the line and bounced away.

Ferriby’s missed opportunities almost came back to haunt them With the game in added time, Ben Adlesbury and substitute Andy Watkins  both missed great chance to win the game for Bath. Such had been Ferriby’s control in midfield and defensively that these were the only chances that Bath had in the whole of the half.

The first period of extra-time saw Nicklin hold two goal attempts from Bath but neither of them really troubled him.

Ferriby were dealt a blow after 103 minutes when Russ Fry was sent-off after receiving a second yellow card. This, obviously made Ferriby’s life more difficult but they still had the better of the half. Gregg Anderson, Nathan Jarman, Denton and King all went close before Jarman showed fabulous skill to control the ball, turn and fire a volley that Mellor held.

Bath’s response was an Adelsbury header which was comfortably taken by Nicklin.

And so to penalties. Bath missed their first two and scored with the next two. However, King, Jarman, Adam Bolder and Jason St Juste all kept their nerve to beat Mellor with superbly taken shots that gave Mellor no chance.

Heath commented, “You won’t see four better penalties than those we took in the shoot-out. To be honest, we never practised penalties during the week.

“Anyway, we now enjoy the rest of the weekend before concentrating on the game at Oxford on Wednesday.”

Chairman Les Hare was as delighted as Heath, “To see such a large crowd in the ground and to give them a win and trip to Wembley is magnificent. It’s a wonderful achievement for a club with the financial resources that we have reach a major final.

“We are only the fourth club to reach both the FA Vase and FA trophy Finals and that is also a remarkable achievement.

“The players were magnificent and that’s a testament to not only their own commitment and ability but also to the management skills of Billy and Mark Carroll.
NFU: Adam Nicklin, Sam Topliss, Josh Wilde, Liam King, Gregg Anderson (Matt Wilson 111), Danny Hone, Danny Clarke (Adam Bolder120) Russ Fry, Tom Denton, Ryan Kendall, (Nathan Jarman 81)Jason St Juste. Subs not used: Tom Nicholson, Nathan Peat

Bath City: Jason Mellor, Sekani Simpson, Andy Gallinagh, Phil Walsh, Dan Ball, Chas Hemmings (Ashley Kingston (118), Dan Bowman (Ross Stearn 75)Ben Adelsbury, Dave Pratt, Nick McCootie (Andy Watkins 64)  Frankie Artus. Subs not used: Pat Keary  Chris Allen,



Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors