NFU 0 Wrexham 0 (NL)

North Ferriby United  0

Wrexham  0

Half time: 0-0

Ferriby ended their eight game losing run in the league with a well-deserved point against Wrexham.

If anybody had been expecting fireworks in the first game between the two sides since they met at Wembley in March 2015, they were largely disappointed.

The game was entertaining but scoring opportunities were at a premium throughout the match.

There was little of note in the first 39 minutes. Wrexham started well with Callum Powell and Leo Smith looking threatening in attack. However, Ferriby’s back four were not really troubled with Taron Hare and Ben Middleton performing particularly well.

Leo Smith’s in-swinging corner was cleared off the line by Sam Topliss and this was the closest to a goal from either side until late in the half.
Ferriby had been conceding rather too much space to Wrexham in the first 20 minutes but gradually began to press the Welsh side. Steve Brogan and Simon Russell combined well on the left in an attempt to push Feriby forward. However, like Wrexham, Ferriby could not put  a telling ball into the penalty area.

Wrexham keeper Shwan Jalal had to be substituted by Chris Dunn and it was Dunn who had to make the first save of the game. He parried Simon Russell’s shot to Kyle Wootton but his shot lacked power and was cleared in front of the line.

Gerry McDonagh should have scored for Wrexham just before half-time but was denied by Rory Watson’s superb reaction save.

The second-half, again, saw few opportunities. Watson produced a one-handed save to deny Callum Powell.

The game was fairly even and end-to-end but neither side could create clear opening as both defences were generally on top. Each team tried to use the flanks to get behind the defences but the final ball in from both sides lacked any real quality.

This meant that both teams were left to try their luck from distance and the shooting was wayward.

Ferriby manager Steve Housham was quite upbeat after the game
“I’m actually disappointed that we didn’t get all three points but the draw was important. It’s stopped the rot and helps to break the mindset of losing. We know we can play without conceding a late goal and giving up a point. That’s a major plus.

“The players were tremendous today. Ryan Fallowfield gave so much that he had to come off with cramp. That typifies the effort in the team.

“I can’t fault the players for their performance. We had a game plan and we kept to it. We now need to start converting our chances and our televised game at Woking next week would be a good place to start.

The draw was a fair result for two teams that showed a lot of endeavour but lacked that little bit of skill to win the game.

Whilst Ferriby’s goal drought continues, they will be happy with the point. Hopefully it will be the kick-start that their season now needs.

Whilst recent results have been disappointing, it was great to hear Ferriby’s supporters get behind their team today. This was especially evident in the last 20 minutes when it looked as if The Villagers might actually sneak a goal to win the game.

NFU: (4-4-2): Rory Watson, Taron Hare, Ben Middleton, Jake Skelton, Steve Brogan , Sam Topliss , Ryan Fallowfield  (Ross Armstrong 91) (Danny Clarke, Simon Russell, Reece Thompson (Ryan Kendall 71), Kyle Wootton (Conner Robinson 71)
Subs not used: Mark Gray, Danny Emerton    

Wrexham:  (4-4-2) Shwan Jalal (Chris Dunn 21), Kai Edwards, Hamza Bencherif, Curtis Tilt,  Jordan Evans, Leo Smith (Anthony Barry 57), Callum Powell, Mark Carrington , John Rooney), Gerry McDonagh (Khallem Bailey-Nicholls 66,) Shaun Harrad
Subs not used: Norte Nortey, Tyler Harvey





Our Sponsors