NFU 0 Spennymoor Town 6 (NLN 17-18)

Tuesday 12  September 2017

 Vanarama National League North

North Ferriby United    0  Spennymoor Town  6
                                                Mark Anderson 2,33, 75
                                                Chris Mason 8
                                                Glen Taylor 18
                                                Kallum Griffiths 51


Spennymoor  gave Ferriby a footballing lesson and the score was  fair reflection of their dominance.
The visitors are the best side that Ferriby have played this season and they took Ferriby apart at will.

This was Ferriby’s largest home defeat in senior football, the previous being a 2-6 defeat by Gretna in April 2001.

Once again, Ferriby got off to a poor start and were two goals down after just eight minutes. Mark Anderson received the ball and twisted and turned defenders before hitting a slow shot past Ross Durrant after just two minutes. Six minutes later Chris Mason was unmarked and unchallenged at the near-post to flick home a corner with his head. Both goals were well-yaken but both were preventable.

Spennymoor were confident on the ball throughout the game. They controlled the ball well and always seemed to have free men available to take a pass. They were quicker in to the tackles and also physically stronger.

Spennymoor showed how to play the ball from the back to develop attacks with incisive passing and movement. They attacked with pace down both wings through Rob Ramshaw and David Foley who frequently put in dangerous crosses. Glen Taylor was a problem in the central striker’s position

By contrast, Ferriby were pedestrian. Simon Russell and Bobby Johnson strived in midfield but there was little support. Callum Rzonca was the only real threat when The Villagers got close to Spennymoor’s goal. New loanee Darnell Bailey-King showd glimpses of ehat he could achieve but, like all strikers, he needs quality service from out wide.

Too often, The Villagers were giving the ball away rather than holding it. Perhaps it is a matter of confidence because they do have good players but they are not performing as team.

Spennymoor’s third goal came from Taylor after 18 minutes. Two passes on a quick break ended with a shot from the striker. It was well created and taken but one has to ask where the Ferriby defence and midfield were.

The fourth goal from Anderson after 33 minutes was probably the best of the six but he was left totally unmarked and was able to pick his spot before firing home an unstoppable shot from 30 yards.

Steve Housham may have been lost for words at half-time because he sent his side out early.

Perhaps it gave the players a message but the half still belonged to Spennymoor who were in almost  total control.

A quick break from Taylor and Ramshaw saw the ball played to Kallum Griffiths who had space and time to hit a curling shot beyond Durrant.

The final goal saw Anderson complete his hat-trick from 16 yards after yet another quick break.

Ferriby did look good at times when they played the ball on the ground but they still lacked penetration.

Manager Steve Housham was bitterly disappointed after the game,

“We have to play for pride at the very least and we did not do that tonight. They were by far the better team and we got what we deserved.”
NFU:  Ross Durrant , Jordan Cooke, Kyle Dixon (Joel Ambalu 76)  Bobby Johnson,  Mark Gray, Jake Picton, Simon Russell, Curtis Bateson (Alberto Sedi 57),  , Akeel Francis (Ross Barrows 45), Darnell Bailey-King,  Callum Rzonca Substitutes not used: Jake Skelton, Leigh Hutcinson,

Spennymoor Town: Jordan Porter, Kallum Griffiths, Christopher Mason, Jamie Chandler,    Joseph Tait, Christopher Chantler, Robert Ramshaw (Bradley Fewster 61),   Matthew Dixon, Glen Taylor (Graeme Armstrong 72), Mark Anderson,  David Foley (Andrew Johnson 75),. Subs not used: James Curtis,  Daniel Lowson,

Attendance:  205


Our Sponsors