NFU 0 Southport 1 (NL)

North Ferriby United:  0


Southport 1 (Liam Nolan 45+1)


Attendance:  451


This was a bitterly disappointing from Ferriby with few players doing themselves any favours. What increased the disappointment was that the performance was well below that of the last two games.

Ferriby manager Steve Housham was critical of his team’s performance,

“We were not good enough today. The performance was a long way below the standard that Darryn Stamp, (assistant manager) and myself expect.

“It was a missed opportunity and that makes it even more disappointing. We are now in a right scrap and we have to play ourselves out of it.

“We did not look fit today. The players gave me and themselves very little today.


Southport did enough to win a tense game between two sides in the bottom four. The game was one of wasted opportunities by both sides and the surprise was that the game was settled by a single goal.

Both sides looked shaky at the back at times. This, with the wasted chances may explain why both teams are struggling this season.

The lack of goals is clearly an issue for The Villagers. Most of their defeats have been fairly narrow and a goal could have significantly changed the course of a number of the games. They are also being punished for some careless defending, something that they are doing to their opponents.

Southport played some good passing football, especially in Ferriby’s half throughout the game. They certainly looked more assured on the ball. They were also quicker to the ball and stronger in the tackle.


They were helped by some wayward passing from Ferriby who regularly gave the ball away when in good positions, especially in midfield.

The second-half saw Ferriby virtually play over the top of midfield. Long passes from defence were gobbled-up by Southport’s defenders. This meant that Connor Oliver, and Simon Russell, in particular, had little opportunity to create an attacking threat.


Southport started brightly and went close on a number of occasions without really threatening Ferriby keeper Rory Watson.

Southport’s Ryan Higgins and Jamie Allen caused problems on the right throughout the game. They got in a number of telling crosses but they were not capitalised on. Both Higgins and Allen also had shots saved.


Reece Thompson was Ferriby’s only threat up front. He was unfortunate to see Southport keeper Magnus Norman hit an attempted clearance against him only for the ball to rebound the keeper.

Thompson drew two saves from Norman in the 20th minute. Shortly after he hammered a shot against the bar. This was as close as Ferriby came to a goal.

Just when it looked as if the half would end goalless, Jordan Lussey broke down the right and his low cross was met close-in at the far post by Liam Nolan who tapped home.

The second-half saw fewer chances. Thompson headed over for Ferriby before being denied a  shot by  a last-ditch tackle from Callum Howe.

Allen twice went close for Southport but there was little more goal threat from either side. The half was fairly even although the visitors put on some pressure in the final 10 minutes.

NFU: Rory Watson;  Sam Topliss (Danny Emerton  45), Mark Gray, Ben Middleton , Jake Skelton, Taron Hare, Connor Oliver, Simon Russell , Ryan Fallowfield, Conner Robinson (Ryan Kendall 59) Reece Thompson  (Alfons Fosu-Mensa 75)

Subs not used: Ross Armstrong, Darryn Stamp

Southport Magnus Norman, Ryan Higgins, Callum Howe,  Mark O’Brien, Neil Ashton, Andrai Jones, Jordan Lussey, Liam Nolan, James Caton (Bobby Moseley 59), James Gray  (Euan Mulhearn 69), Jamie Allen  (John Cofie 90+1)

Subs not used: Declan Weeks, Josh Thompson


Our Sponsors