NFU 0 Lincoln City 1 (NL)

Tuesday 21 February 2017
National League

Ferriby United 0    Lincoln City  1
                                    Luke Waterfall 21

Attendance: 2389 (club record for any home game)

It was same old story for Ferriby against the league leaders and FA Cup quarter-finalists. Once again, The Villagers fell to a narrow defeat despite another reasonably good performance. One defensive lapse cost Ferriby dear in a game in which they showed plenty of endeavour and spirit.

Perhaps Ferriby gave Lincoln too much respect in the first-half in view of their success this season. At times in this game, especially in the second-half, they had Lincoln on the back foot. The Imps often had to make hurried clearances. Despite being a very good footballing side, they are not afraid of putting the ball out of play when it is the sensible choice. Consequently, they reduce opportunities for opponents.

Ferriby lost the midfield battle to a large extent. Lincoln were allowed too much space and time and were often quicker to the loose ball. Ferriby did not help themselves with some slack passes that were picked-up by Lincoln.

The opening exchanges belonged to Ferriby but they could not create any threat to Paul Farman’s goal.

Josh Ginnelly, who was a threat all night, saw a cross come back off the inside of the far post. Further attempts followed from Lincoln and one effort led to a corner. Ginnelly took it and found the unmarked Luke Waterfall who headed powerfully home. Once again, Ferriby were undone by some sloppy marking and Rory Watson was left questioning who should have been marking Waterfall.

Ferriby only had one goal attempt in the first-half and that was a Reece Thompson shot that was blocked on the edge of the penalty area. A good move involving Sam Topliss, Sam Cosgrove ended with Thompson putting in a low cross that evaded everybody.

For their part, Lincoln had a number of shots but they were either high, wide or both.

Ferriby gave a more determined performance in the second-half but there were still only two goal attempts. Farman just beat Thompson to through-ball before Bateson’s curling free-kick drew  afull-length save from Farman. Had that gone in, the game may have been different.

However, Lincoln took control and Ferriby had Watson to thank for keeping the score to just the one goal. He turned Matt Rhead’s shot on to the bar and then made an even better save to deny Ginnnelly.

Apart from those chances, Lincoln were a bit profligate with other opportunities. On balance, they probably deserved the win but it was still hard to take for The Villagers. They had shown, and not for the first time this season, that they can compete with clubs in this division. The major difference is a lack of experience with the key experienced players all suffering long-term injuries.
Assistant Manager Darryn Stamp commented,
“We put in a good performance against the league leaders so it is disappointing to not get anything from the game.

“We  had warned the players before the game about Waterfall’s movement at free-kicks but we still allowed him a free header for the goal.

“We weren’t at our best as far as moving the ball was concerned. We gave it away too often. The conditions didn’t help with the wind blowing down the pitch throughout the game.

“As always, we will re-group and go again at Guiseley on Saturday.”

NFU: Rory Watson,  Sam Topliss, Mark Gray (Matty Templeton 66),, Ben Middleton,  Jake Skelton, Taron Hare, Matt Dixon, Robbie Tinkler, Curtis Bateson (Connor Oliver 87), Sam Cosgrove (Ryan Kendall 60), Reece Thompson
 Subs not used: Jordan Cooke, Ross Armstrong

Lincoln City: Paul Farman, Sam Habergham, Elliott Whitehouse (Jack Muldoon 70), Luke Waterfall,  Sean Long, Sean Raggett, Nathan Arnold, Alex Woodyard, Dayle Southwell ( Matt Rhead 59), Billy Knott (Alan Power 60), Josh Ginnelly.  Subs not used: Bradley Wood, Joe Ward



Our Sponsors