NFU 0 Hednesford Town 2 (VCN)

Vanarama Football Conference North
24 February 2015

North Ferriby United  0  Hednesford Town            2                                  Attendance: 253
Scorers Hednesford: Nick Rushton 48; Adam Thomas 64

A Ferriby side showing ten changes from the side that face Bath on Saturday gave a spirited performance against in-form Hednesford. However, The Villagers went down to only their second home defeat of the season, partly due to having to play the second-half with just 10 men following Nathan Peat’s dismissal on the stroke of half-time.

In an entertaining first-half, Ferriby had slightly the better of both territory and possession. Tim Taylor was a constant threat to Hednesford with his pace and control. However, clear-cut chances were few and far between.

Ferriby dominated the first 15 minutes. Nathan Jarman had a free-kick blocked on the edge of the penalty area. Shortly after, Jarman played a neat ball outside to Adam Bolder whose 16-yrd drive was turned over the bar two-handed by Hednesford keeper Dan Crane.

Hednesford responded with a header following a free-kick and a shot from Andy Todd that were both comfortably gathered by Ferriby goalkeeping debutant Tom Nicholson.
Jarman was unlucky after 26 minutes. Crane punched Louis Bruce’s long throw to the striker whose low drive hit one of his own players to bounce clear.

Ferriby were generally quicker to the ball and offered the greater threat throughout the half whilst hednesford rarely offered little in the way of attempts on goal.

Nathan Peat was shown a red card in the 45th minute for a challenge on Tom Thorley and this had a dramatic effect on the game.

Hednesford quickly took advantage of the extra man to score after 48 minutes.  A cross-field ball found Nick Rushton on the right and he turned Curtis Bateson before firing a low shot past Nicholson.

Ferriby responeded immediately with Adam Bolder’s free-kick being blocked and Jarman’s follow-up also hit a defender.

Hednesford were making the most of their extra man in terms of territorial advantage but Ferriby defended well and made life difficult for the visitors.

Nicholson made a good point-blank save from Rushton  from one of the few attempts that actually got past Ferriby’sdefence.

The game was settled in the space of about thirty seconds in the 64th minute. Curtis Bateson crossed from the left and Jarman’s shot hit the bar and bounced out to be cleared. The ball reached Hednesford substitute Adam Thomas and he hit a drive past Nicholson to double the visitors’ lead.

Despite being pressed back for much of the game. Ferriby managed a number of attacks that unsettled Hednesford who were sometimes forced in to some desperate defending to clear their lines.

This was a good performance by Ferriby and the score-line was rather harsh on them. Manager Billy Heath will almost certainly a more recognisable starting eleven against bath on Saturday. Whoever lines-up, though, a performance with as much heart and spirit as this should give The Villagers a great chance of beating Bath>

Ferriby manager Billy Heath commented, “It was a good performance. The players worked really hard and created some problems for Hednesford. The sending-off made life difficult and they used the extra man to their advantage.

“We now need to turn our thoughts to Saturday. It is a massive game for everybody connected with the club.”

NFU: Tom Nicholson, Louis Bruce, Nathan Peat, Jon D’Laryea, Gregg Anderson, Matt Wilson, Tim Taylor (Josh Wilde 50),  Adam Bolder (Russ Fry 71), Nathan Jarman, Ryan Kendall, Curtis Bateson. Subs not used: Jordan Douglas, Tom Denton, Mark Gray,

Hednesford Town: Dan Crane, James Hurst, Darren Campion, Ben Bailey, Andy Todd (Adam Thomas 45),  Tom Thorley,  Jamie Osbourne, Glenn Walker, Marvin Robinson (Steve Diggin 66), Nick Rushton (Tom Strain 80), Richard Batchelor. Sub not used: Lloyd Kerry



Our Sponsors

Our Sponsors