NFU 0 Aldershot Town 3 (NL)

Vanarama National League

22April 2017



North Ferriby United    0                    Aldershot Town     3                
                                                                Bernard Mensah   31, 62
                                                                Scott Rendell   83

Aldershot ran-out fairly comfortable winners in the end but they were forced to work hard at times by a gutsy Ferriby. The scoreline was harsh on Ferriby. At times, a neutral observer would have found it hard to work out which team had been relegated and which one was in a play-off spot.

There was little to get excited about in the first 25 minutes with Ferriby’s Mark Gray and Aldershot’s Will Evans having headers blocked.

 The game was open and end-to-end but both side were struggling to create any real chances. Passing was often hurried or careless and this made it difficult for both teams’ front-runners.

Aldershot began to get control and  started to exert more pressure from around the 25th minute.

Matt McClure was denied a goal by a last ditch tackleand clearance from Mark Gray. The only goal of the half came after 31 minutes when man-of-the-match Bernard Mensah rose to head home Nick Arnold’s nicely flighted cross.

That was the only real goal attempt for the rest of the half despite Aldershot having the better of the final 15 minutes.

 The first 15 minutes of the second-half saw Ferriby having the better of the game but they did not threaten a goal. On balance, Aldershot probably just about deserved their lead.

Ferriby started the second-half well and pushed back the visitors but their only goal attempt was a Reece Thompson from Jordan Cooke’s cross.

Aldersgot gradually took control. McClure drew a save from Owen Evans before
Mensah doubled the lead after 62 minutes. Substitute Scott Rendell’s, first touch was a header  to Mensah who scored from close range. Rendell almost added a third but his header bounced off the post,

Ferriby responded  with Thompson seeing a header come back off the post before Connor Oliver’s powerful first-time shot produced a flying save from keeper Jake Cole.

It was Rendell who provided the killer blow with a near post header  after losing his marker at a corner. 

Matt McClure, Kundai Benyu and Arnold were a constant threat for  the visitors whilst Ryan Fallowfield and Thompson worked hard for Ferriby in an open  and end-to-end game.

Ferriby manager Steve Housham was philosophical after the game,
“I’m proud of the way the team played. We showed our usual commitment and that was important.  These players have a tremendous amount of pride and that has showed in  recent games despite the fact that relegation became more and more inevitable.

“We lost to a good team. We could probably have defended a better for a couple of the goals and we also had our own chances towards the end.

I would have liked us to produce a win for our supporters who have been tremendous throughout the season.  They could have got on the players’ backs but they recognise the effort and commitment that the side has shown.”

North Ferriby United

Owen Evans, Sam Topliss (Jordan Cooke 45),  ,  Mark Gray,  Ben Middleton,  Taron Hare, Connor Oliver, Robbie Tinkler ( Tom Bolton 86), Matty Dixon, Ryan Fallowfield (Sam Cosgrove 74),, Danny Emerton,  Reece Thompson
Subs unused:  Kojo Kyei, George Bell,

Aldershot Town: Jake Cole, Nick Arnold (Anthony Staker 72),  Will Evans, Shamir Fenelon (Scott Rendell 61),, Matt McClure, Bernard Mensah, Cheye Alexander, Jake Gallagher, Jim Kellerman (Emmanuel Oyeleke 64),, Kundai Benyu, Callum Reynolds
Subs not used Dominic Hyam, Mark smith,



Our Sponsors